My GC Hardtop project

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
colta51

Re: My GC Hardtop project

Post by colta51 »

that is all looking great man..! love the rad.. it looks right at home in there.. (H)
were abouts did you sorce yore speed fittings from..? i was gonna get myn from outlaw speed shop but maby you no sumwere cheeper..?
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cheers mate, I am very happy with the rad. I spent hours going through all the ones for sale on ebay looking for the right size, who would have thought EH/J, lol.
Most of my fittings I got from a mate, he built a TE Cortina drag car just in time for the track to be closed, drove it on the road for a while till it got defected and then parked it. About 12 months ago he started selling of all the extra parts he had and then stripped and sold the car. I also got the swirl pot and 910 fuels pumps from that car :)
All the rest I just bought from ebay, they are cheaper than over the counter :thumpsup:

The couple that run this store are really nice and do killer freight discounts (H)
http://stores.ebay.com.au/furiousperformance
colta51

Post by colta51 »

yea thay look good thanks for that.. :thumpsup:
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Got my extractors today, but they need to be modded to fit so no pics, lol
I am getting pretty excited now, all I need to make it run is a coil, get the extractors modded to suit and accelerator cable and some fuel.
Still needs a lot more to be drivable but just the thought of it starting make me excited at the moment :)
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

good work bloke :thumpsup:
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cheers Mick,
Got the rest of my fittings today so I am off to the shed, pics later :)
A112H

Post by A112H »

FINALY, an almost completed engine bay. Just need a few hoses and thermo, get the extractors modded and polish the carbs and rocker cover then I am all done under the hood (H)

This should look pretty sweet once the carbs are polished

Nearly complete engine bay :)

Extractors trial fitted to see what needs to be modded, think I have it sussed :think:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Okay, so I am looking at thermo fans and have a question.
Would I be better of with one 12" fan or two 8 or 9" fans?
r20bear

Post by r20bear »

I had on 12" and the astron still overheated, (LJ Torana Radiator) though it was mounted to the front of the radiator (no space between engine and rad) blowing air. I hear that sucking air through is better...

I have no experience with two smaller fans, though I suspect that may be superior.

Cheers
Rob
4dr LA Lancer
CBR600rr 07
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think some new cars use the twin fans sequentially?
As I have the alloy rad and no shroud I think I want the most coverage over the fins I can get, but I have never retro fitted thermos before so honestly have no phucking idea, lol
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

A112H wrote:Okay, so I am looking at thermo fans and have a question.
Would I be better of with one 12" fan or two 8 or 9" fans?
what ever covers more radiator

I run two 10" fans on the V8 sig with a VK commo radiator and it never gets hot
A112H

Post by A112H »

By that rationale the 9" will give me 18" of coverage as opposed to the 12" coverage from a 12" fan??
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Where you install the thermo sender switch will have an impact on their efficiency. You would think the centre of the fan would cause a 'dead' spot but the fan will still be cooling either end of the cores passing over it so the impact would be minimal. I'd be tempted to use a single fan (11 or 12") as it would draw less power to run and it will have a reasonable swept area over the surface of the radiator- you'll still get areas of radiator that isn't going to get forced air passing through it. Either way it'll be better than the pump driven fan...
81pw

Post by 81pw »

One big fan is better then 2 smaller fans that's what I was told from radiator shop when I was looking for my car. Thats if your radiator is square like mine. Get a 16 inch fan. And run it on a adjustable thermo switch.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sweet, one big one it is.
12" is about a big as I can go cuz the rad is only 500x310 or 19.5x12" in ye olde speak
A112H

Post by A112H »

Well my hunt for a diff is finally over. I just bought a disc brake LSD from a EX Lancercomplete and ready to rock, it runs 3.909:1 ratio and is full rebuilt. It wasn't cheap but it will be very cool :thumpsup:
Picking it up tomorrow so expect pics
Phone pic from the guy I bought it off
A112H

Post by A112H »

Also got my JDM number plates in the mail today to

A112H

Post by A112H »

Just picked my diff up, very nice tight LSD and the perfect width.
If anyone is interested, the gear box above is also for sale, it is to suit a wide block and is the short shifter position. He wants $150. If you are interested PM me and I will pass on his details.
Now I am off to the shed to grind off some un needed mounts :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Got my thermo today and then fitted it, lol

Also got my sandwich plate so fitted that and the cooler

Car is booked in for exhaust on Sat and the diff is getting the mounts welded on to suit the leaf springs on Tuesday.
Hopefully they will get the exhaust done on Sat then I can get stuck into making it run on Sunday, Monday.
webby

Post by webby »

:thumpsup:
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

that fan i wayyyyyyy to small for the radiator, if you want it to work your gonna need a shroud or a 2nd fan otherwise the radiator is going to have massive hot spots

anyhow looking good
A112H

Post by A112H »

I was thinking that 2x10" fans would have been better but I spoke to a few "professionals" and they said one bigger one would be better. As the rad is about 310 x 500mm a 12" fan was the biggest I could fit.
On a plus side it is 3 core and alloy, both of witch will help it cool much better than a stock rad and the core is a perfect fit for the whole in the body so in theory it should be more effective than a stock rad with engine fan.
I am also going to be fitting a electric water pump so that will help too :)
anyhow looking good
Cheers Mick. I am starting to get silly excited, lol
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

The thing is though the fan will only be pulling air over the area directly in front on it so the other 2 3rds will be getting hot

if you fit something like this then the fan will pull air right across the core
A112H

Post by A112H »

Makes sense, kinda, as the fan is placed directly to the rad wouldn't it only pull from the blade face anyway? I get how a shroud works when the fan is at a distance but not really in a rad mounted application.
In your pic, would I then mount the fan to the shroud and not the rad so it can pull air from all around the fan?
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

the shroud pictured spaces the fan off the radiator

Im just passing on info that i have picked up over the years from when i was into burnout comps, i had a similar setup in my old turbo cortina, one 12" mounted on the radiator it worked ok while driving at low speeds had a hard time at traffic lights and failed on the burnout pad lol

Matt Abood suggested I fit a shroud, so i did and no more problems
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sounds fair enough. Where did you get yours from or do they need to be custom?
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

I made mine from 1.2mm alloy

made it out of cardboard first then laid it out on the alloy sheet marked/cut it out marked folds then took it to a sheet metal mob and got them to fold and weld it
A112H

Post by A112H »

My little Brother is a stainless fabricator, think I might hit him up to make me one :)
I did store that horrible hunk of Chev junk in my shed for him for 3 months, I think he owes me :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Got my new alternator today, I think this is pretty cool in itself whats really cool was it gave me a chance to fit my sweet billet pulley. Pics :)

Here he is, waiting paitently to go to the exhaust shop in the morning.

Does anyone know a good auto electrician in SA? I would prefer mobile and do it at my place but can take it there if need be.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

A112H wrote:Got my new alternator today, I think this is pretty cool in itself whats really cool was it gave me a chance to fit my sweet billet pulley. Pics :)

Looks great.

I saw one a few years back that incorporated the "fan" and pulley.
Basically, the fan was a series of angled holes. Looked great but I don't know how effective it would have been.

Cheers.