My GC Hardtop project

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
A112H

Re: My GC Hardtop project

Post by A112H »

WELL I GIVE UP :banh:
I just finished the hardtop with strong new mounts, fresh gear oil, fresh diff oil and new uni joints.
Went to reverse out of the driveway and the diff is clunking and grinding. To say I am dissapointed is a massive understatement. I guess I will park it up in the shed for the next 5 years while I look for a rebuild kit for a EX Lancer LSD.
Anyone got one laying around?

One possitive is I don't think it was my dodgey mounts that caused the problem in the first place, I am now guessing it was the diff locking up as it was already fucked. $1000 well spent :@

Have a great festive season everyone, catch ya next year.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Oh, man... After all that work trying to get it cruise ready you find out it's toast. I'm amazed it tore itself to pieces the way you described - it must've been past it way before you even saw it. Hope you get it up and sorted in 2012. :(
webby

Post by webby »

Would it be the same/similar to a small-centre Starion LSD?
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Shove the stock diff in till ya get this one fixed, atleast you can use it then.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

^^ x2 man. That sux.

Forget about it for 24hrs man, enjoy xmas...
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Is it making the noises when turning, or just when you were going straight? It's possible that the pinion, crownwheel etc may have been damaged and the actual LSD centre itself is still OK. It may have even bent the diff housing. If the LSD centre is OK, then the rest of it is pretty easy to find replacements in comparison.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cheers guys.
It is happening in a straight line. Bad enough that all I did was drive up and down the drive way twice, wasn't brave enough to even go out into the street.
Think I will jam the stock diff in there on boxing day morning and see if I can still make the cruise.
Gotta say I was really bummed earlier but it is amazing what a few drinks and a few hours to think can do, lol.
Anyway it is now officially Christmas day. Have a safe and fun day guys.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Well the stock diff is back in and working perfectly, still not making the cruise though :( The tailshaft must have got slightly damaged during the ordeal as now it has a pretty bad vibration about 40kph. I will see if I can get it balanced next week but think I might have to wait until the new year
A112H

Post by A112H »

So I have borrowed a tailshaft from a very helpful S-G member and now it is running smooth as, thanks again :thumpsup:
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Top stuff Jase :thumpsup:

Good things come to those who wait :blah:
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

jason, you sure you haven't got a binding up uni? what does the diff turn like out of the car by hand?
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
A112H

Post by A112H »

astronturbo77,
Doesn't want to turn by hand. You can get it to spin one way but trying to get it to go the other way takes some back and forthing to free it up. It is even notchy by hand.
My theory is that it was knacked long before I got it and a loose chuck of something got jammed, caused the lock up and the rotation of the wheels is what rolled the diff around.

webby,
Not sure if it is the same or not to be honest, if it is where the hell do I get a small Starion centre from?

I have asked around some NZ sites and see what answers I get, fingers crossed.
A112H

Post by A112H »

So the boy and I have just done a 60+ k trip around Adelaides northern suburbs and can report that the only fault was the speedo stopped working early on. Admittedly I had stretched an auto cable and I guess it was a bit to much to ask.
Sigma cable here we come :)
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

dont want to sound like a smart ass but does the diff have oil in it ?
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
A112H

Post by A112H »

All good Mick, yeah it did but I think that was it's problem before I got it. Just that short run, no more than 1.5k's and the front and both axle barings got hot.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

oh well just pull it down, get the part numbers off the bearings/cups get some newies, and give the diff a real good wash
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
A112H

Post by A112H »

Will do Mick, but it can wait until March when the rego runs out. I will be shedding it over winter to fix any little bits that come up, replace the front guards and rebuild the diff.
Think I will be fitting A/C to my shed over winter. I just been to UPI and got a speedo cable and thermostat, now I have to fit them and the thermometer in the shed say's it is 38c :(
Pretty sure I will need a cider or 3 to complete this task :P
A112H

Post by A112H »

You live and learn, or so they say, lol
Well I just found out that there is a difference with speedo cables. I got one from a Scorpion and both ends are triangular. All other Mitsi speedo cables I have seen have a triangle end for the speedo and a round end with a keyway for the gearbox.
:banh:
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Broken speedo cables on maiden voyages must be a coupe thing, mine did the exact same when I got it running for the first time a few years back. I had an early sigma manual cable laying about that went straight in. It is a little bit longer but I just cable tied the slack to the top of the gearbox crossmember. Still there 2-3 years later :thumpsup:
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
A112H

Post by A112H »

Was yours an auto TJ?
Mine was and I heard the reason it had to stretch so far was because the auto cable is shorter?
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

i tried putting a auto speedo cable into my hardtop, didnt work for long. Lancer one was the same so i chucked the spare in i had
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Think I might grab the one from the GSR at the new UPI tomorrow
A112H

Post by A112H »

Well the hardtop had his first brush with the law tonight. After a few hot days I thought I would take it for a run on this nice cool evening. Saw the cop car behind me for a few round abouts so was being as gentle as I could (it doesn't like it much under 2000rpm) and then came the lights. Of course inside is was all "fuck, fuck, fuck" but was cool, calm and polite. All he asked me about the car was is it registered and how long I have had it. Needless to say I pass the drug and alcohol tests and was told to have a fine evening. I putted away from him and went straight home, lol

(H)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

He didn't pop the bonnet? You had that " I am officially screwed" moment... Lucky escape this time jase! :o
A112H

Post by A112H »

Nah he didn't even ask and I was giving it a squirt a few round abouts before I noticed him, I suppose thats how I got his attention.
He was a older copper and they are normally pretty cool. I have learnt my lesson about going for a cruise at night :)
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

Nice work. Good cops like that keep some sort of faith in the system in regards to appreciating cars that arent being driven by wankers.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

BOOBS
unique10

Post by unique10 »

What?! Where?
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

There are 2 small Starion LSD's for sale on austarion atm........ Might be a bit out of your price range though.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Are they the same? Mine is a 10 bolt