My GC Hardtop project

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: My GC Hardtop project

Post by TUFSIG »

just from the sounds of that it seems like a lot of mucking around for not that much gain and still not as reliable as EFI
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

A112H

Post by A112H »

TUFSIG wrote:just from the sounds of that it seems like a lot of mucking around for not that much gain and still not as reliable as EFI
I think I agree, lol
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

as far as i know with efi theres a lesser chance of it falling out of tune? not sure how true the " oh carbies fall out of tune all the time " statement is, but least with an EFI set up where everything is controlled by pretty much an intake air temp sensor, an o2 sensor and a Throttle body position sensor and maybe a map or maf it'll be able to adjust fuel mixture accordingly without having to re-tune for winter/sumer, assuming your gonna go an after market ecu of course if your going for TBI set up?

which ever way you go theres a bit of work and planning either way, if this engine is something your planning on keeping and staying with then go for something you feel will keep you happy and has potential for further options in the future of the car :thumpsup:
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

Agree with everything you said there.

I have had a couple of variations of turbo carby and twin carbs and single webbers and they used to loose tune allt he time and just ran like pigs, then i found the joy that is multi point magna injection and the car actually worked :P

good thing with your motor is it has lots of bolt on parts including plug and play ECUs
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

A112H

Post by A112H »

Both of you are thinking exactly what I am and the main reason behind the engine swap really.
The Astron, while a very quick engine is old and clunky compaired to the 63. The 63 can make much more power, smoother and more reliaby than the Astron ever would. I think I will be going efi, the carb option is a viable option and deserved some consideration.
I will be using an aftermarket ecu but as yet have no idea what type or brand, everyone has compelling reasons why they like what they like and I do not know enough to weigh in, my experiance with ecu's or ems's or ecm's is nothing more than fitting a pre-programmed power fc to a Skyline, lol. What I want is one that will make my engine run, is easy to fit and is tunable on my laptop :thumpsup:

Anyway, this is what I did today, not as much as I wanted but shit comes up.
New water pump, timing belt and pulleys.

A112H

Post by A112H »

So, will the flywheel from the 54 be okay on the 63? The bolts line up and it fits over the crank perfectly.
If this is the case then I guess I can use the same starter motor too?
Also noticed I now have to rewire the alternator back to the drivers side, same as it was for the 32 :facepalm:
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

Not sure about that one i thought that a 2lt astron flywheel will fit all good but not sure about a 2.6 one.

And yes the 63 will be alot smoother however no where as much torque as a Astron :P
My Astron is making 200rwkw no worries so i think you will be able to get great power from a newer DOHC motor
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

It would be the 2lt one he has as it was a Magna block.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah, sorry, it is a 2.0 fly I have :)
Cheers guys.
I am hoping to pull 150rwkw out of it n/a, should be pretty achievable and will be much smoother than the lumpy old carby fed 54 :thumpsup:
Not as torquey but much happier to rev (H)
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

I cant rev past 5.5k atm on mine cause fuel pump cant keep up, time for 044 me thinks none of this VL turbo fuel pump rubbish
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

A112H

Post by A112H »

I have a 090 stashed away, sold my spare one and the swirl pot though :(
I am thinking I don't need the swirl pot as I am running a foam filled cell with a wet sump, fuel shouldn't slop around at all.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

How come you went to the effort changing the belt, pulleys and so on, but left the old balance shaft belt?

2.0 Sigma flywheel will bolt straight on, and I've also had to use a Sigma starter motor as the VR4 one was tight against the block as the positioning is slightly different.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Changed it later, once I realised there was another belt in the box, lol
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

As always... :thumpsup:

Keep it up! And quickly lol, otherwise I might be on the road before you :lol:
Cheers Ben
A112H

Post by A112H »

You probably will be Ben, I need to find a job so I can pay for the work done on my replacement front end :( Not to mention buying a computer to run the 63 and all the other bits and pieces that will come up.
I hope to have it running by Christmas but if I don't find work soon I will be sleeping in it, :(
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

Hey jase,hows everything going mate? nice to see the galant is still in the mix mate coming along slowly hey..lol
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
A112H

Post by A112H »

Hey Harry, hope you and the family are well mate.
I got nearly a year from the Astron before I wanted something else, lol. These two 63's came up at a good price and so began phase 2 of the journey, lol
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

No job sucks! but the hardtop would make one hell of a bedroom :P
I can relate to the funding issue, being a uni student for the last few years budgets are always tight :z But there is always something on the horizon! next year i have to return to realm of the full time employee so i guuess the upside is finance for cars :think:

Sing out if ya need a hand with anything tho! and keep up the low price hard work u can do on a budget :lol:
Cheers Ben
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

A112H wrote:Hey Harry, hope you and the family are well mate.
I got nearly a year from the Astron before I wanted something else, lol. These two 63's came up at a good price and so began phase 2 of the journey, lol
Yeah jase we are all doing well thanks....no good to hear you aint working mate,must be hard on u and the family? how are they,hope all is well.
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
A112H

Post by A112H »

Got the water outlet thingo from Jay Racing today so I was able to finish puttng the front of the engine together.

Found a problem though, the water pump pulley fouls on the thermostat housing :wut: The alloy pulley kit I bought is for an Evo so there isn't supposed to be an outlet at the front. Don't know what pulley I should use now :(
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I had the exact same problem with the Jay Racing setup, with a standard VR4 waterpump pulley. I ended up cutting the adaptor apart and having a piece of alloy pipe welded in so that it now comes out off the head at a 30degree angle.

dwlee

Post by dwlee »

I also had the same problem, but with the rwd waterpump modified to clear timing belt and align pulleys.

Something else to check is the hood clearance with the timing cover as I found it to be an issue with the hood strengthening brace in the gto
which became
I'm not sure if you will have this problem in a GC.
Last edited by dwlee on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A112H

Post by A112H »

C_Fernance wrote:I had the exact same problem with the Jay Racing setup, with a standard VR4 waterpump pulley. I ended up cutting the adaptor apart and having a piece of alloy pipe welded in so that it now comes out off the head at a 30degree angle.

dwlee wrote:I also had the same problem, but with the rwd waterpump modified to clear timing belt and align pulleys.

Cheers guys, looks like the cut N shut option is about the only option.
A112H

Post by A112H »

So, I will be running a bit of a mixed bag mechanically, lol.
HH GSR Galant 4G63 engine
GH Sigma 4G52 flywheel
MC L200 4G63 gearbox
So which bloody clutch should I use, I think this is the one as the measurements are the same a 2.0 Siggy but I guess the spline is bigger for the L200 box?
I would like a heavier duty clutch but seems that would have to be custom made?
As always, guidence is appreciated :thumpsup:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubishi-L ... 1c2188a6ea
simon

Post by simon »

Hi jason
I am just wondering what motor specs you are going to use ie,cams,throttle bodies,injectors .Are you using stock pistons and rods.
Very interested in learning more from your build ,

regards simon
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Jase that looks like the right clutch! i do have a brand new L200 one here that i can pass on to you for what i paid if ya like... Its just an Australian Clutches one... not heavy duty or anything... No stress if you dont want it, i will jus return it... I will dig out the receipt and let ya know how much, i think it was around the 150 mark tho...
Cheers Ben
A112H

Post by A112H »

simon wrote:Hi jason
I am just wondering what motor specs you are going to use ie,cams,throttle bodies,injectors .Are you using stock pistons and rods.
Very interested in learning more from your build ,

regards simon
Hey Simon,
Internally the engine will be stock. I will be running a haltech ecu with a Cyclone manifold, converted to RWD and using a 70mm throttle body.
It will be running 440cc injectors (maybe 575's, see how it goes) and individual coil packs. I will be using a pully mounted trigger wheel instead of the CAS and custom extractors.
For now the cams will remain stock but I am toying with the idea of trialing turbo cams or simply getting mine re-ground.
I have some adjustable cam gears, really for show, but they will come in handy if I do run some big cams.
I am not aiming for big power here, the Cyclone engines made 147kw at the fly so I really don't think I will have too much trouble getting 150kw at the wheels, which is all I am after. In a 920kg car I think that will be more than enough fun :thumpsup:
Benharjon wrote:Jase that looks like the right clutch! i do have a brand new L200 one here that i can pass on to you for what i paid if ya like... Its just an Australian Clutches one... not heavy duty or anything... No stress if you dont want it, i will jus return it... I will dig out the receipt and let ya know how much, i think it was around the 150 mark tho...
Might take you up on that offer Ben, I will PM you (H)
simon

Post by simon »

Thanks Jason,
Thank you so much for the info. It is good to learn from someone who has a lot more knowledge and is doing it themselves. So far, from what I have learnt and the bits I already have I think I will use a 67 head on a 63 block (L300) with a 4AGE Toyota black top 45 mm ITVS, 560 cc injectors, extractors and I am wondering about getting cams reground to 272 specs. Being a farmer coming into our busy season, it will be some time before I get to do much on it. It is interesting to see your thermostat housing and I will keep an eye on what you are doing so I can learn more as you go along.

Simon
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

Jason, I think you are over estimating the factory non-turbo output of the dohc 4g63 or are using the wrong units.

The dohc 4g63 engine in the 1989 Galant output 145 ps (106.65 kw) / 6000 rpm while the AMG version output 170 ps (125.04 kw) / 6750 rpm. Some of the later high spec engines output was 160 ps (117.68 kw) / 6500 rpm. The AMG and the higher performing engines had 10.4 compression ratio pistons while in the standard engine compression ratio was around 9.5.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

keen to see how this goes. if you can get 150 atw with a n/a 4g63 i might go that route