My Sigma Drift Build

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
RBT025

My Sigma Drift Build

Post by RBT025 »

I decided to go away from the norm of having a Sigma burnout car and decided to try and turn one into a drift car. I have done enough skids in my time and decided now its time to start building a track car. So got this Sigma which has been in the family for the past 24 years.

Plans are to get it completely gutted and then get the entire body dead straight and rust free which is going to be a lot of fun around the windows due to the rust. Not 100% on what colour it will go yet but the entire outside and inside will be sprayed. Will be almost show quality when done rather than a cheap banger with mismatched panels and rust patches. And then I will smooth the engine bay and most likely SR20DET power it with a 5spd or a 6 spd depending on budget. The rear wheels will be getting kicked by shimmed LSD. Interior is going to be very basic. Just bare metal, a couple of race seats, few gauges, steering wheel cluster and maybe a couple of extra welded in brackets for strength. Mags will be whatever comes up at the time but would like some 16s or 17s. Suspension will be have to be made all in house with a coil over sleeve kit as no one seems to stock coil overs for a Sigma. Handbrake I am not sure on what direction I will go yet. But would like a hydraulic but will see. The entire fuel setup will be going into the boot. The tank will get the flick and I will get a fuel cell and a fuel pump or two.

I have only had it a few weeks. So far I have removed the entire interior and most of the engine accessories and head. All I need to do is get my hands on an engine crane so I can lift the block and gearbox out. Once that is done I will start the body work. Hopefully this weather decides to start getting better which probably wont happen due to winter so I may have to make a carport or cover to cover it up a bit.

Here are a few pics.

kenvv

Re: My Sigma Drift Build

Post by kenvv »

sounds great dude. if drifting i would keep it to a 5 speed.

and why bother making the body immaculate. at some time or another your bound to hit a tyre wall out on the track. removing rust completely hardly seems necessary if it will get dents at some stage anyway. just do a decent bog job or cut out the really bad bits obviously if their rusted through.

goodluck :thumpsup:
vrooooom vrooooom!!
RBT025

Post by RBT025 »

I probably will go for a 5 spd just due to price as I cant see the 6 spd being to cheap. I just want it mint as I will probably throw it in Autosalon when it is finished before it makes it track debut hence why I want it clean. And I just dont want it to look like junk whilst going around the track. If I was to do that I would just buy a poor conditioned, defected S13 and drift that as it would already have the driveline. But I like to be different.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

youll have to redo the front suspension geometry aswell, theyre not setup well at all on lock, and lock isnt as good as it needs to be for drift.
theyre very happy to go sideways, but past a certain point they just swap ends as the front steer causes track bind.

FYI, im planning on the same with a scorpion as a track hack.
Im going to do a conversion using a subaru STI-RA quick rack and use nissan s13/14/15 coilovers/brakes and modified mount points.
Insert witty one liner here -->
brendon

Post by brendon »

Billsy wrote:FYI, im planning on the same with a scorpion as a track hack.
Im going to do a conversion using a subaru STI-RA quick rack and use nissan s13/14/15 coilovers/brakes and modified mount points.
Thats sounds good, especially the rack conversion, hopefully you'll do a write up when you complete it? pleaase
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
RBT025

Post by RBT025 »

I was thinking of doing a rack conversion but I wanting to rip everything apart so I can see what I am working with before I decide on what I am doing 100%. As with the suspension it will just be fully modified Sigma struts which I will strip and I will obtain a coilover sleeve kit and weld the brackets on making my own coilovers. It will be good to see how your Scorpion comes along too. And I already know with its shorter wheel base its going to do a few circles. Just gotta practice and get used to it. Only doing it for some fun not full on competition.
RBT025

Post by RBT025 »

After a bit of work underneath the car I have found out that I won't be able to go through with the plans I had for the Sigma which is a shame as its now most likely going to be shipped off to the metal yard after I strip some bits and pieces off.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

so what will you be doing instead mate?
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

RBT025 wrote:After a bit of work underneath the car I have found out that I won't be able to go through with the plans I had for the Sigma which is a shame as its now most likely going to be shipped off to the metal yard after I strip some bits and pieces off.
why not? what did you find?
Insert witty one liner here -->
RBT025

Post by RBT025 »

I will probably end up doing another Sigma. Probably a GJ but been talking to a guy who has a GJ who is trying to setup as a drift car and he is saying that it is a nightmare but I am going to meet up with him to have a look. If not I have been looking into dirt circuit as well lately so might go down that track. My mates have been trying to get me to go down the Nissan path like Silvia or Skyline but having one as a daily I dont really want one for a track car and always love my Sigmas. Id love a Starion as well but hard to find and wouldnt dirt circuit a Starion.

The chassis isnt the best and it easier to cart it and redo another one then it would be to try and slowly bit by bit fix it up.
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

is it full of rust or just general damage?
Samual
RBT025

Post by RBT025 »

A little from column A and a little from Column B. Is funny too because I lift all the interior up and inside boot and all is virtually rust free except for round the windows. Get underneath it properly and just shock my head. Is annoying too as I just deleted passenger door locks, side mirrors and started the smoothing process. But its going to scrap metal Tuesday arvo after I get the sellable pieces off.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

What diff setup are you planning on running?
Another option to get power easier might be a RB25T, they fit.
And someone else has put skyline front shocks and brakes in there Sigma,
might be an easy option for coil overs etc.

If its been in the family 2o odd years, you still might be best off keeping it rather than looking for ages to find another one that has less damage but more problems in other places??

Cant see all your photos, have they been removed from the photo site?