Cottees' 1980 Chrysler Celeste Lancer LC GT A73M Resto

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Cottees
Admin

Re: Cottees' 1980 Chrysler Lancer LC GL A73M Resto

Post by Cottees »

Got a little more done on the Lancer. Fixed up the horn, and almost lost my hearing while testing it out.

Took out the centre console to see how much has been cut out. Forgot to take a photo of the wiring behind the centre console. It was a nightmare.

Tried out some 'Midnight Blue' touch up paint. It is the wrong one.

Decided to put in a spare head unit so I has some tunes in the car till I find an un-cut centre console.

Also took some photos of my spare steering wheel. It isn't perfect. The badge on the horn is starting to peal, and there is a screw missing on the horn. I may sell it soon if I get a decent offer.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

If it wasn't for the heat buckle in the gearshift surround I would've recommended making a fascia out of aluminium sheet. It would make it harder to tear out if some a-hole breaks into it. As for the steering wheel repco's selling three spoke retro style SAAS wheels for $99 ATM. I preferred the old black three spoke myself...
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

One more part for the LC. Just have to get all the parts together now to get it running, and ready to get tuned.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I took the intake off the Astron 80 to get the head off, and to test fit the Lynx manifold and Dell'Orto carbie.

Looks like the space between the Dell'Orto and the strut tower is around 54mm. The current filter is slightly taller than that, and won't fit. I am thinking of changing to a Ram-Flo filter which should just fit.

Took the head off and looks like a couple of the water galleries are clogged. Even worse is that who ever did the work to it before me put a 4G54 head gasket on it. The problem with it is that carbon has built up in the gap the wrong sized gasket has made. The pistons are also marked with "52 J" on them.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

That carby and manifold set up is beginning to look like a real sqeeze. Will it still allow some engine rock when it's revved?The head gasket- just plain stupid. Another subject- was checking out head units @ JB's today and thought a double DIN head unit would look a treat in your console. Reasonable priced around $330 mark (a custom aluminium surround? Yep. At it again...) :roll:
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

geezer101 wrote:That carby and manifold set up is beginning to look like a real sqeeze. Will it still allow some engine rock when it's revved?
The engine shouldn't rock too much. If it is getting too tight, I can take out the soft mount kit, and that'll add a couple extra mm.
geezer101 wrote:The head gasket- just plain stupid
That is why I made sure to get a 4G52/G52B head gasket, not one that might fit.
geezer101 wrote:Another subject- was checking out head units @ JB's today and thought a double DIN head unit would look a treat in your console. Reasonable priced around $330 mark (a custom aluminium surround? Yep. At it again...) :roll:
Sounds like a good idea. The look I am after is more late 70s early 80s, so a newer head unit would look out of place. Might come up with something though.

Took a look at the head, and wondering why the engine didn't die when I took it for a long drive the other week. Almost all of the water galleries are blocked.

There is a heap of corrosion deposits in the galleries too. Will get a thin bottle brush and give them all a good clean.

On an interesting note, the MCA-JETs are still in the head.

You can also see the small inlet for the jets just above the main inlet.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Oh man, that is plain nasty! First '52 head I've seen with the jet valves- what did this engine come out of? Most guys I've spoken to recommend welding the jet valves up as they reckon they're notorious for burning out. Looks like you're gotta flush your block out too. Never ends...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

geezer101 wrote:Most guys I've spoken to recommend welding the jet valves up as they reckon they're notorious for burning out.
I had an import 4G32B in my old LB hatch, it had the jet valves. I got them welded up because they didn't seal, it went heaps better after that. Had a heap more compression. When I bought the motor, someone had cut the extra tabs off the rocker arms so they weren't operational anymore.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

geezer101 wrote:what did this engine come out of?
None of the engines that were sold in Australia came with the MCA-JET heads, but they were sold in Japan, US, and some other countries. I suspect it could be an engine out of a Mitsubishi Lancer Celeste GSR from Japan as an import replacement engine someone in the last 10 years has put into it. From paper work I have got, back in 1998 or so, another 4G32 replaced the original that was in the car. Then the car was taken off the road in 2001. So I'd say some time after 2001 the G52B would have been put into the LC. But by the condition of the block + head, it would have been done quite a while ago, closer to 2001. And going by the head gasket used, who ever did the work in it didn't do it properly. At the moment I'll leave the jets in the head. They are disconnected from the rockers, so they don't actually do anything at the moment. If anything does happen to the head, I can always replace it with a non-jet head, or put another 1600 in there, depending on what I feel like at the time.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Cottees check this out
http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=hot ... m270.l1313

I bet you want one, or two.

Edit:
I found this page too http://www.advancedracing.com/car_parts ... vanced.php

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Now you've got the head off have you considered getting the ports matched from the head to your inlet manifold? I had a similar situation dave had with an import jet valve '32 head. I had a spare set of standard rockers so I had them installed when I had it recon'd (they cut the tops off the jet valves and welded them) and got them to port match it with my manifold.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Been wondering cottees- what is your intention with the console? Obvious you want a good replacement one, as for the audio were you looking for the original set up or something aftermarket that was available at the time?
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

geezer101 wrote:Been wondering cottees- what is your intention with the console? Obvious you want a good replacement one, as for the audio were you looking for the original set up or something aftermarket that was available at the time?
I'll probably stick with what I have at the moment, then either put in a stock head unit, or make a custom console centre that would include the Pioneer KP-500.

I bought a Lynx Dell'Orto linkage kit. Got it set up ok at the moment ready for the Lancer.

And some photos of markings on the Dell'Orto.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

After doing some cleaning to the head, it looks like it has corroded a little more than I would have liked. That is why I have decided to source a replacement head. One more thing to do before the Lancer is on the road :banh: .

The valves, springs etc. from the head. Including the MCA-Jet bolt thingo.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Damn, that's bad luck.
I was lucky with mine I think. I was expecting a lot of corrosion, but was pleasantly surprised with none :think:

Dave...
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

The '52 J' pistons.

Part of the exhaust where it was attached with 2 spot welds, then siliconed the gap.

Pulling out the G52B to check it over.

The clutch looks good. Not a real good one like those bright pink ones.

Now have to find something for here.

With a closer look at the G52B, it might not be worth the time and money fixing up. The bottom end looks ok, but the cylinder walls are badly warn and would need boring out. That would also include getting new over sized pistons and rings. The balance shaft chain is also stretched and would need to be replaced. It might just be easier to see if the spare 4G32 I have works, or just use the 4G54 from a Magna I have spare. I would like to use a DOHC 4G61, but don't have the time or money for it at the moment.
A112H

Post by A112H »

The clutch looks good. Not a real good one like those bright pink ones.
Pink is for pussies, real men use gold, lol
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q ... a=N&tab=wi
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Prefer the ones my brother makes

Cheers.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Had a closer look at the 4G32/G32B that was in the parts LC. It has pink bits!

Gave it a quick test before doing too much with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChvDnrENzDc

The clutch and flywheel all look good.

Time to put the engine into the LC.

After running it in the car, it went ok, but the battery was getting flat at that time. Started to flush the engine with water, and discovered the aluminium foil welch plugs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QXGMUjW3S0
A112H

Post by A112H »

aluminium foil welch plugs
Brass is recomended, lol
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Well, that sucks... you weren't having any luck when the head let go (have to admit I'd rather do a welch plug) Did you do something in this life or the last to deserve this? :shock:
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

A112H wrote:Brass is recomended, lol
Yep, heard that too. Just have to get the old ones out first. Might put in my Magna engine + GN head + Dell'Orto instead. Then later on when I have time, do something with the Saturn.
geezer101 wrote:Did you do something in this life or the last to deserve this? :shock:
Probably. Must have been fun. Just wish I could remember what I did.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Just reviewing the video I took of the engine running. Here is part of it that is most concerning.

As you can see, that is sparks coming out of the exhaust. Considering how long that engine has probably been sitting, it is a wonder it wasn't valves or con rods or small mammals being ejected. The car it came from was last registered in 1999, but I was told that the engine had been attempted to be started since that time, but then again I was also told that the engine in the blue LC was good to go, and was installed by a professional :facepalm: .
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Cottees wrote:but then again I was also told that the engine in the blue LC was good to go, and was installed by a professional :facepalm: .
Professional what though?

Your not having a good run with this car so far.
Have you managed to have a look at the 2ltr yet?
You don't think it's worth continuing with it?

Dave...
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

75wagon wrote:Have you managed to have a look at the 2ltr yet?
It looks to need to be bored out, and a new balance shaft chain. At the moment I have a spare Magna engine that I know works, so might pop that in for now, and decide what to do with the 1600 and the 2L afterwards.
7thsin

Post by 7thsin »

nice water feature.
foil welsh plugs wow
thats very sneeky and cheap .but how did they hold 4 so long on the previous car
it was in
= Lancer 1976 =
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

7thsin wrote:foil welsh plugs wow
I'd say they'd be the factory plugs that came with the engine, but have worn away little by little over the last 31 years.

Got another manual in the mail. This one is pretty interesting. It shows all the changes that are made from the LB to LC.

It did have this that is interesting. It shows that the fender mirrors are from all Celeste models, including the A73M. It also shows that the side mirrors don't extend past the widest part of the body, satisfying part of the Aussie Design Rules.
7thsin

Post by 7thsin »

"I'd say they'd be the factory plugs that came with the engine, but have worn away little by little over the last 31 years"

dam if thats the case makes me think how mine are holding up
thax 4 the heads up
= Lancer 1976 =
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have decided to just fix up the G52B engine. I have started now by giving it a good clean.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Today I stripped and cleaned the G52B.

That included popping out the welch plugs, and being confronted by the horrors that laid within.

Once that was done, and the pistons and crank removed, I gave it a good clean.

All the parts are nicely placed into a box for now.

The crank was put in a separate box to prevent walking.

Also took the shonky exhaust out. Tried to get it out in one piece, but it pissed me off, and I got it out with an angle grinder.