Cottees' 1987 Sigma GN GSR Super Edition

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Cottees
Admin

Cottees' 1987 Sigma GN GSR Super Edition

Post by Cottees »

Here is my build plans. They are in no particular order. Pretty much they are going to be done when I can afford it, or if I can get something cheap, then it'll be done next.

Build Plans:
- Magna Head (M4) swap : Done!
Swap Sigma Astron II head for a Magna head. Swap done with an M4 head.
- Get a M4 head.
- Remove the standard Sigma head, and replace with a Magna head.

- Change rockers to roller rockers : Done!
Swap out the normal rockers from the M4 head, and replace them with roller rockers from a later head.

- Basic EFI Conversion : Done!
TR/TS based conversion. Swap mechanical fuel pump for electric. Using stock ECU.
- Pull apart the loom and rearrange it for a RWD car.
- Extend the length of the loom.
- Wire up a small fuse box.
- Re-tape the loom ready to put into the car.
- Wiring diagram.
- Put in the roller rockers.
- Modify the AC bracket to allow room for the TR/TS intake.
- Mount the fuel pump.
- Mount the ECU above the glove box.
- Wire up the fuel pump.
--- Videos
- First running test.
- Running, but has an exhaust leak.
- Starting, but then conking out.
- First successful run test.
- More testing.
- Drive test. Auto still not working properly.
- Another drive test. Auto now working properly.
- 0-80 test.
- Testing the rev limiter on the ECU.
- 75-100 test.
- The Sigma ticking over to 180,000kms

- Power Steering : Done!
Replace the manual steering with power steering.
- Clean the power steering components.
- Install the pump and remove the manual steering components.

- Front Suspension/Brakes Upgrade : In progress
Starion struts with lowered King Springs and RDA front and rear slotted rotors.
- Research on disk pad sizes.
- Buy a Starion for it's brakes.
- Differences between the Sigma and Starion's front suspension setup.
- Pull apart the Starion struts.
- Clean and paint the strut/brakes components.
- Sigma vs Starion strut tops.
- New studs for the Starion hubs.
- Clean out and re-grease the wheel bearings.

- Rear Suspension/Brakes and Differential : In progress
Scorpion Differential with Starion rear brakes. Lowered King Springs.

- GSR spoiler and front lip : In progress
Convert the car into a GSR copy.
- Straighten a front spoiler.
- Mount a rear spoiler to a non-GSR Sigma.
- Change the GL badge to a GSR badge.

- Manual Conversion : In progress
W58 to replace the Auto trans. (Originally planned for KM132)
- Manual and Auto speed vs rpm graphs.
- Replace the Auto pedals with a set of manual pedals.
- Get a KM132.
- Get a W58 5sp manual.

- Forced Induction : In progress
Install a SC14. (Also considered a Disco Potato/GT2565RS or Eaton M90)
- Get a SC14

- After Market EFI Conversion : Pending
Megasquirt II or III ECU.

- TM/TN/TP Magna Elite LCD cluster mod : Pending
Mod a Magna Elite LCD cluster to fit into the GN Sigma.

- Body Work : Pending
Fix any rust and restore the exterior to stock looking.

- Rear Half Roll cage : Pending
Half to keep it road legal-ish, and to keep it roll safe-ish. In SA, a rear half roll cage is road legal.

- 4 Point Racing Harness : Pending
Racing Harness to accompany the roll cage.

- Front Seat Upgrade : Delayed
Cordia seats using Sigma rails.

- The Car
-- 1987 Mitsubishi Sigma GN GL
-- 177,000 km on the clock
-- Garaged most of it's life so very little rust
-- Came with brand new 14" tyres

- Parts Used
-- Magna TP
--- M4 Astron head
-- Magna TR
--- Throttle Body
--- IAC (E9T15292C)
--- TPS
--- Intake Manifold (AW319683/AW320958)
--- Coolant Pressure and Temp Sensor
--- Engine bay loom (everything but the ECU plugs cut off at the fire wall)
--- Fuel Rail (9 280 065 008/AW319695)
--- 3.3 bar Fuel Regulator (0 280 160 519)
--- Fuel Injectors (Blue Top) (0 280 150 775)
--- ECU (9 260 060 021)
--- Control Relay (E8T07871)
--- Intake Pipes
--- Air Flow/Temperature Sensor (E5T05071)
--- Ignition Coil + Noise Filter
--- Oxygen Sensor
--- Roller Rockers
--- Cam Shaft
-- Commodore VL (Non Turbo)
--- External Fuel Pump (0 580 464 050)
-- Commodore VN
--- Coolant Pipe (Series 1)
-- Universal
--- 30 degree 3" pipe
--- Flexible 3" pipe
--- Bosch Belt 11A1015 (Crank > Water Pump > Alternator)
--- Bosch Belt 11A1055 (Crank > AC Compressor)

- Digital Dash Parts
-- Magna TN Elite
--- Digital Cluster
-- Magna TP Elite
--- Digital Cluster Loom
--- Speedo Pulse Generator

A couple years ago I had a GJ Sigma and planned to do an EFI conversion on it. Before I could do that, I ended up running it into gutter and bending the chassis. Fast forward a couple years and I have got another Sigma that I plan to do work on.

I saved this Sigma from being sent to the scrap metal recyclers. I got it for scrap value, which was around $150. It is a 1987 GN Sigma, 2.6L, Auto. It has done 177k kms. I would have rather got a Manual version, but couldn't pass it up for $150.

Pretty much all that was wrong with it was it needed a replacement water pump and radiator. I have a replacement water pump, but I am going to leave the radiator replacement till I check out if a Commodore VK radiator would be a suitable 'upgrade'.

I went to U-Pull-It North the other day and picked up an almost complete TR EFI Intake for $39. I was thinking of trying to do something different with this build. I had the idea of putting in a Toyota 1JZGTE, Toyota 4AGZE, Mitsubishi 6G72, Mitsubishi 4G92, but I ended up just going with the 4G54 that I already had to save costs. In the spirit of doing something different, I decided to try and use an unmodified Magna intake.

My first idea for using the unmodified intake was to use an adapter that pointed the throttle body away from the fire wall. The Commodore VN/VP has a similar problem. The L27 engine from the US is made for a FWD car, and the plenum and the throttle body point towards the firewall in a RWD orientation. I used this as inspiration for a design for my adapter. This first design would clear the firewall ok, but would make the throttle body point straight at the rocker cover.

Second attempt at a design for an adapter was better. This time I tilted the throttle body at 30 degrees which would make it pass the engine easily. I also included a support that would bolt to the rocker cover as the air filter box on the carbie intake does. The throttle body cable could also mount to this support.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be getting the carbie intake off the car, mounting the EFI intake, and making a quick prototype adapter. I will post pics when it is done.
Last edited by Cottees on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:32 am, edited 35 times in total.
psshhhht

Re: Cottees' Sigma GN Build

Post by psshhhht »

nice one, looking forward to watching the progress! :)
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

This is what I am starting with.

Without the carbie and fuel pump.

Now without the manifold. The left stud that the fuel pump used will have to be removed as there is no hole for it in the new manifold.

Those who don't like to get dirty and make a mess need not apply.

The bottom part of the EFI manifold installed. I found that trying to do this while the engine is in the bay to be quite hard. I removed most of the studs from the head, and moved the AC hose out of the way and was able to get it to fit. You can see the scratches on the strut pillar from when I was trying to get it in. When I get all of the studs out and use bolts, it'll be easier to get in and out.

One of the problems with using this manifold for a RWD car is the thermostat housing. I replaced the Magna one with the one that came out of the Sigma and it clears the fire wall.

This is a comparison of the Sigma (mounted) and Magna (holding) thermostat housing. BTW, rubber gloves work well at keeping your hands clean when working on a car, that is until you start having to squeeze your hand into tight and sharp spots around the engine.

Now I have the top of the manifold installed.

This is the clearance between the plenum opening and the firewall.

Now to test fit the fuel rail.

The fuel rail inlet pipe wont clear the firewall, and the inlet of the fuel rail sits pretty close to the heater pipes.

And here is the test fitting of my prototype. It is different from the pics I posted earlier as my measurements were off. I'll post pics once I have fabricated a metal version.

Last edited by Cottees on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have made a quick metal version of the adapter. It still needs a lot of changing to get it right.

Last edited by Cottees on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I used some modelling clay to get the shape of the inside of the pipe I am wanting.

Trimmed the metal support to make it neater.

The metal support bent to the correct angle.

I have covered the modelling clay with aluminium foil and started the fibre glassing.

Here is just a bit more of the fibre glass.
Last edited by Cottees on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Test fitting of the adapter.

Test fitting it all into the car.

Used the original intake pipe from the Sigma just to see if a pipe on that angle would fit under the bonnet.

Put in some spacers to strengthen things.

More fibre glassing.
Last edited by Cottees on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Just wanted to try something different. I don't think I have seen anyone do an EFI mod like that, so I thought I'd give it a try.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

A little more fibre glass, and a better angle to show what is going on. This will be the last fibre glassing pic for a while, at least till it's almost finished.
Last edited by Cottees on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COBWBS

Post by COBWBS »

Wat the crap.

Get a hack saw and cut the ends off your manifold and swap them will be alot easyer...

Good luck
Formerly known as QIKSIG
2.6 Turbo 72 GA Galant on straight LPG
77 Lancer
sigmare

Post by sigmare »

uhh... interesting :?
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

lol, definitely different, keep up the good work
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Time to remove the modelling clay.

I have trimmed the fibre glass and test fit just the adapter.

Then another test fitting of the throttle body.

I have relocated the throttle cable. it is nearly the right angle, but not good enough.

I still have a couple more things to finish and neaten up on it, but it is nearly complete. Next step will be intake piping and starting on electrical. Just depends on what I get from U-Pull-it next.
Last edited by Cottees on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
webby

Post by webby »

COBWBS wrote:Wat the crap.

Get a hack saw and cut the ends off your manifold and swap them will be alot easyer...

Good luck
Hmm. So is this the generally accepted method?
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

The chop method is the way a Sigma/Galant/Scorpion/etc. EFI mod has always been done. I just thought that everyone and their dog has done an EFI conversion, why not do one that is a little different. The Commodore VN/VP use a transversely mounted FWD engine that has been turned 90 degrees for a RWD Commodore. instead of making a new plenum, they just attached a 90 degree angle elbow to make the intake point away from the fire wall. Even with that, the Commodores go pretty well (when something else doesn't break on them).
COBWBS

Post by COBWBS »

webby wrote:
Hmm. So is this the generally accepted method?[/quote]

Yep..

Chop it off and weld it on the other end.. Takes 2 mins..

But if you would rather id it in modeling clay and tin foil then go 4 it! :shock:
Formerly known as QIKSIG
2.6 Turbo 72 GA Galant on straight LPG
77 Lancer
webby

Post by webby »

Hey, the bloke has a fairly good idea. I wouldn't personally do it, but it looks like it would work just fine. Same setup as the V6 Commodores, and they go pretty good when something isn't playing up
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I just laid out the loom I got from U-Pull-It to see what would need to be changed.

I went past City Dismantlers earlier and dropped in and got some prices. I asked about a TR/TS ECU and they told me that there is 4 different ECUs, and I need the right one or it'll fry the computer. I don't remember the service manual referring to several different ECUs. Unless they were talking about the Engne, Trans, etc computers. No idea what computer was with the loom I picked up as there as no Magna ECUs at U-Pull-It. An ECU for a 4cyl was around $250. Then I asked about a GK/GN 5 sp manual, the KM-132. They said that would be the Borg Warner. I didn't think the KM-132 was a BW? That was going to be around $350. I then asked about Starion front struts. IIRC they said around $160 for each side.

I also picked up a set of Cordia Turbo seats from U-Pull-It. They looked pretty nice, and were quite comfortable, but they wont bolt straight into the Sigma. There should be a way to do it since I did it to a set of Pulsar Turbo seats a couple years back.
Last edited by Cottees on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

City Dismantlers is a rip off for anything and everything.
As for ya computer just keep an eye out at U-Pull-It as they are there now and then ya just have to be the first one to get it when the car is put out in the yard. I dont know of them having different ECU's. Will be alot cheaper than anywhere else.
Ya 5spd, are ya looking for wide or narrow, if wide there are scorps at both U-Pull-It's, rip one out and just say its a 4spd from a Galant, will be about half the price of City Dismantlers. (KM-132 is a Jap Box)
Be careful with the Cordia seats as they have a tendancy of ripping the mounting bolts out of the base. Has happened to me. I got another set of bases and placed some extra metal around the mounting points.
Have fun with the wiring loom, i spent a whole day ripping apart, removing excess wires and re-taping the loom for my car.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Thanks for the info. I have a narrow block since I have an auto GN. I know the fun all too well of loom work. One morning around 6am, I was late for work and my Commodore VN battery was dead again. I had a spare battery in the Sigma, so ripped that out of the Sigma, and popped it into the Commodore. I didn't realise till afterwards that the battery terminals were backwards on the Sigma battery and fired some of the wiring.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Stupid batteries with terminals around the wrong way to what ya want them. I know a few people who have done this trick aswell.

Try these people for ya 5spd
All Jap Spares
420 Churchill Road
Kilburn
8349 7811

I got one from them for $195. I think they might have some Starion stuff aswell.
They are with Hotline 40 aswell so they can check some other places for ya aswell.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Notice the cracks and lack of one bolt coz the frames are made of such a thin metal. The three inserted pix show the bits of metal i made to reinforce the bolts and the mounts i made to bolt the rail to. Hope this gives ya some idea on where to head with ya seat install.

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I had another look at the Magna TR/TS service manual, and it looks like some models came with up to 5 Control Units. Engine, Auto Transmission, Cruise Control, A/C and Anti-Theft
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have run out of Sigma money at the moment so I can't buy any new parts for it for the moment. I do have enough parts etc. to keep me going for a while. Earlier I had a look at both a Sigma and Cordia seats and how they all work. The Cordia seats wont bolt straight into the Sigma, and the Sigma rails wont bolt straight to the Cordia seats. from what I can see, if I drill 2 more holes, weld in 3 new nuts, and add some enforcing plates as suggested by GB_BB4C, it should then bolt into the Sigma. I also am going to make some brackets so that I can mount a Magna TR/TS electric fan to the Sigma radiator where the fan shroud used to be. I'll post pics once I have finished them.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Interesting work on the TB, looks like it should work out okay.
Keeps the pics rolling in. I am working on my Astron II and fitting Efi to my Coupe so I am reading with great interest.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I was just googling for Digital Dashes and came across a thread from the old site :

http://www.sigma-galant.com/archive/mod ... w=previous

Answered 2 questions I had. Looks like that the Magna speed sensor will bolt straight to the jap 5 spd. it also looks like I can, if I can find one, put in a digital dash and adjust the speedo. Thanks again GB_BB4C!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

My Commodore decided to dump most of it's coolant on North Tce in Adelaide, so it gave me an excuse to do car stuff, and go to Super Cheap Auto.

I got a couple things like some bolts for the intake that'll try out later, and a couple intake piping stuff that was on clerance. I got a 3" to 2.5" rubber adapter, and a 3" plastic 60 degree bend pipe.

Since the Bonnet of the Commodore was open anyway, I thought I'd borrow a couple parts.

The pipe would sit better if it was on this angle.

And here is the complete throttle body to the air flow meter connected. It all fits under the bonnet ok.
Last edited by Cottees on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sig2L

Post by sig2L »

hey mate not a bad idea but why didnt you just make the adaptor face the other way and you could have just had an air box behind the passenger side strut tower??
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Interesting idea! I didn't even think of doing it like that. It would probably work, but I would need the piping to go the way it is if I plan to go with forced induction. If I get time tomorrow, I might try rotating the adapter 180 and see how it fits.

Speaking of forced induction, I found this Air to Water Intercooler that could be small enough to mount above the rocker cover between the turbo and the throttle body. It would eliminate a huge amount of piping that would be needed for a front mounted intercooler. There would be still some piping to go to the front of the car, but they wont be that wide, and would easily fit through holes already in the front of the car.
http://www.frozenboost.com/product_info ... 60bd04da39
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

I have seen a problem with your accelorator cable. You have attached it to you firewall. I would not recomend this as the motor sits on rubber mounts and thus moves/shakes when you have the motor running. Just make a bracket off the rocker cover to hold the cable.

Not telling you how to do stuff to your car, just something that i have noticed that may be a problem.

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

It's not a problem, it's a feature! Auto accelerator! I will eventually move it somewhere more suitable.