Engine Conversions Obsolete!! Must Read!

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
mstrrab1992

Engine Conversions Obsolete!! Must Read!

Post by mstrrab1992 »

I have just been to see my local engineer.
In the next 6 weeks or so, Engineers certs will not be recognized..They will be obsolete
The RTA is cracking down on engine conversions so much that it is going to be made NATION Wide that you CANNOT increase the original size of the engine by 20%
this is no hogwash this is the real deal, if you think im pulling legs, call up the rta/engineers and ask for yourself.
engine conversions will be obsolete, so that means for lancer, galant owners we will not be able to put anything bigger then a 1800 Non Aspirated engine into the car..
i have talked to a few people and they have all told me the same thing, the days of engine conversions will soon be obselete and everyone will have to drive stockys..

Engineers certificates Will CEASE TO EXIST.

if anyone has any information about this please add to it..

http://forum.streetcommodores.com/archive/index.php/t-8571977.html wrote: The RTA has put a date (September 29 2011) on when the current vehicle modification rules will cease to exist and t...he new (communist nanny state style) rules will come into effect.
Heres a just preview of whats installed for all of us (and theres something here for everyone):
Cars:
- You can no longer increase your tyre rolling diameter by more than 15mm for passenger cars. So for get about fitting a nice pair of 26" street radials on the rear of your muscle cars & no more 20-22" rims for the ricers.
- Replacement engine sizes will be drastically reduced. So no more 308's in LJ toranas, no more 350's in LX toranas, no more V8's in capri's or cortinas, etc, etc. And as for forced induction, with the limits to be imposed you wont even be able to turbo or blow your original engines in most cases.
- Streetrods will become a thing of the past.
4WDs:
- You can no longer increase your tyre rolling diameter by more than 50mm on your everyday ride. So no more fitings a set of 35's to your patrol or landcruiser and if your lucky you may just be able to fit a set of 31's to your hilux navara triton or rodeo. How crazy's that.
- You will no longer be able to raise your vehicle cab more than 6" total, inclusive of that resulting from suspension lifts, body lifts and from larger tyres.
- To get a vehicle lift (like just mentioned) for more than 2" engineer certfied will set you back thousands with all the bul**** testing that will have to be done on a closed circuit test track. From what I here it will need to be done on an unused air-strip, so you will be going somewhere like goulburn or somewhere in the sticks to do it & good luck getting an engineer to travel that far away to do it for you. This **** will end up impossible to get done.
- Bye bye modified 4Wd's and the massive small business workshops and parts industries that it supports. Hello social security.
Mini-trucks:
- Well all ive got to say is do you remember VSI-50 ! Bye bye chassis notches, drop-spindle & fitting 20" wheels. Bye bye minitrucks and the massive small business workshop and parts industries that it supports. Hello social security.
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
sceneybr

Re: Engine Conversions Obsolete!! Must Read!

Post by sceneybr »

um don't do it legally then jeez the amount of people on the road with different engines is crazy my mate has a vt v8 in a vk commodore got pulled up pop bonnet the cop was a retard they know jack about engines. days of conversions not over just for the people who wish to do everything by the book.
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

Its not that, Its the RTA wont approve of registering your vehicle. that will impact it ey??.. when the rta put in your vehicles numbers, see's that its only meant to be a 1600, but the blue slip has 2600 on it. they wont pass it for rego.
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

From what I understand it will still be possible, however the issue is with finding an engineer that will be able to pass it off. The RTA are bringing in a new scheme that is compulsory for engineers to join in order to pass cars, but at the same time it is very expensive and leaves the engineer without the necessary insurance they require to cover themselves. Understandably not many engineers want to join this scheme, meaning there will be no one that can certify the car as being safe even if everything is modified by the book.

As for the NCOP rules themselves i'm neither for or against them. Down sides are smaller capacity limits on turbo engines (no turbo 1UZFE in a Scorp, was OK before) and only 50mm change in suspension height. Positives are you can run a larger NA engine (6.0L V8 now OK in a Scorp) and I can run much wider rims on the Scorp (9.5" compared to 7.5").
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

hmmm.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

[quote="mstrrab1992"]I have just been to see my local engineer.
In the next 6 weeks or so, Engineers certs will not be recognized..They will be obsolete

no this is not the case, if your car is currently registered and you have an engineers nothing will change

The RTA is cracking down on engine conversions so much that it is going to be made NATION Wide that you CANNOT increase the original size of the engine by 20%

NSW RTA cant make anything nation wide, the 20% rule goes back before you were born, yes they are cracking down as some dicks have had forged engineers certificates and there were some dodgy "Engineers" who didnt do their job

so that means for lancer, galant owners we will not be able to put anything bigger then a 1800 Non Aspirated engine into the car..

only if you dont have an Engineers cert same as the sitation is now

[quote="http://forum.streetcommodores.com/archi ... 71977.html"]

wouldnt waste my time reading cyber crap, contact the RTA , check their site or read the DOTARS (National) regs online. This may require you to use several search functions.... :D
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Does this mean all previously recognised and approved swaps are automatically removed from the system? The US has a powerful lobby to protect both enthusiasts and the businesses that support their interests. Time to put a foot down, an industry is at stake... :@
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

Does this mean all previously recognised and approved swaps are automatically removed from the system?

no this is not the case, if your car is currently registered and you have an engineers nothing will change

as above NO, and this is ONLY NSW! if your car is UNREGISTERED OR the engineers cert is dodgy or not on their syetem you need to comply with the requirements applicable on the day you go for registration.
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

The way I understand it is like Torana68 said, these new rules are NOT retrospective. If your already legal you will stay legal.

cheers
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
A112H

Post by A112H »

I love SA, we might not have a drag strip but we will be the only state you can drive a drag car on the road :)
A112H

Post by A112H »

It is, but 20% is just stupid. So if I buy a 200ci 6cyl XD Falcon, chuck V8 springs into it (which was the only difference from the factory) and slip in a 351ci it can't be rego'd??? Stupid.

Anyway, as mentioned above, a good 75% of cops have no idea so as long as you don't get pulled over in a 2J HR Holden or a V8 Sigma you should be fine.
I got pulled over in my TE Cortina about 20 years ago, was 4cyl rego and had 2.0 badges on the gaurds and rear end. Copper asked me to pop the hood, had a look around and said "on your way"
I had an XF EFI 250 x-flow under the hood.
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

no vroom vroom :(! eeeep!

Hmmm..

Its still not fair tho =\ i reckon we should be able to still do it if someone approves it that its safe..if its safe it can be driven.. what about all these rodders? how much money in the industry will people lose if they wont allow rodding? its like wtf..?!
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

Surprised this news not on every car forum - Would think the PF guys be organizing a lynch mob.

as i said in tandanus post - only found this - last few posts.
http://forum.streetcommodores.com/archi ... 71977.html
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

its not as bad as every one makes out, I'll still go on doing engine conversions as per RTA guidelines

you have never been allowed to go more than 15mm bigger in overall dia

308 LJ toranas have been illegal for nearly 15 years same with 350 lh toranas,
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

A112H wrote:It is, but 20% is just stupid. So if I buy a 200ci 6cyl XD Falcon, chuck V8 springs into it (which was the only difference from the factory) and slip in a 351ci it can't be rego'd??? Stupid..
maybe all calm down and read the rules, its 20% of the biggest engine (without the need for Engineering cettification, more see your Engineer) so that would be somewhere over 400 cubic inches for a XD......HQ would be 20% over a 350 etc.... so thats the biggest engine OR by the weight thing AND each state is different but in Victoria I think its capacity OR HP increase of 20%