What is the Ideal/Maximum size tyre for turbo rims?

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
shmickmik23

What is the Ideal/Maximum size tyre for turbo rims?

Post by shmickmik23 »

I am pretty sure the ones on there now are 195/40/15's. How big can you go for these rims anyway? I like the fat tyre look with the smallest possible profile which i SURE is going to cost me :'(
Last edited by shmickmik23 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
woops

Re: What is the Ideal/Maximum size tyre for turbo rims?

Post by woops »

What type of car are you putting these wheels on. Pirelli have some tyres which are a 205/50/r15 but wider then that you'd be looking at racing tyres i would think. That size would be about the limit i would want to put on a car. On a sigma this size would be way to small. You would have better acceleration but crap top speed. That kinda size is that would go onto a galant not a sigma. The 225/50/R15 i would say would be a bit to large to squeeze onto the rims. The turbo rims are a 6 inch rim right? I know the pepperpots are 6 inch and the TRX rims are 5.5 but i don't know about the wherrit/turbo rims.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
lpgalant

Post by lpgalant »

235 rnt a drama, looks tuff to, and fits a siggy, even 245 but not sure if anyones making them, i use 7s inch rims and have put 275s on them
69 vf valiant coupe 225 efi turbo
74 gc galant 2.6 stroker 3.0
lpg c10 9 inch gt 4088 roller
84GSR

Post by 84GSR »

185 is the minimum legal size and 235 is the maximum legal size on a 6 inch wide rim which is what those turbo rims are,I believe. 185 will give the best handling because it will have a straight,stiff sidewall,so no flex. 235's look awesome but don't handle as well due to sidewall flex. 195/60 was the factory size. 195/55 or 205/55 are nice.
shmickmik23

Post by shmickmik23 »

Haha bloody hell imagine what 235's would look like on the rear wheels :shock: Hmm well they will be going on a GH sigma which wont be seeing a race track for a looooong time so yeah.. in the end whatever size i choose will be purely for wank factor lol. I have the 14inch rims on there at the moment and it was pretty scary driving last night in the rain so i thought when i buy tyres for these rims id want a proper size to handle the weight of the sigma :P

But also look pretty cool from behind :mrgreen:

I have to keep in mind that having fat tyres on a non power steering car would make three point turns even WORSE not to mention the cost aswell. What do you guys have on your turbo/wheritt rims?
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

lpgalant wrote:i use 7s inch rims and have put 275s on them
thats nearly 11 inches of tyre on a 7 inch rim

thats suicidal
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
lpgalant

Post by lpgalant »

sorry, my mistake, 7 half inch lol, but looks tuff
69 vf valiant coupe 225 efi turbo
74 gc galant 2.6 stroker 3.0
lpg c10 9 inch gt 4088 roller
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

lpgalant wrote:sorry, my mistake, 7 half inch lol, but looks tuff
still scary

id be gluing the bead on :lol:
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

i run 205/50/15's on mine. Good fit and combo all round. Dont handle too bad either.
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
shmickmik23

Post by shmickmik23 »

Bob jane have a "sale" on now on 195/50/15's for $99-$115 depending on brand. I was thinking of doing what you have done tufsig and have the 195's on the front and bigger ones on the back. Haha i find myself looking at random cars tyres now just to see what they would look like on the sigma. My mate has 235's on his commodore which look wayyy to big. Then i saw a bmw with 225's and i wished i had those lol

How much do 225/50/15's cost nowadays anyway? I am not fussed AT ALL on brand as i just want fresh rubber. No retreads or second hand tyres (unless mad tread and stupid cheap lol.... second handies i mean defo not retreads.)

Ill have to look at your cars in the members section to see what those sizes look like on the rims :P
woops

Post by woops »

shmickmik23 wrote:Bob jane have a "sale" on now on 195/50/15's for $99-$115 depending on brand.
Something that i found when looking around for tyres is that bod jane often when they have sales the stock is 1 to 2 years old and may be a little harder due to age. You may not find too much of a difference over new stock but it's something to keep in mind. There are things on the net about that will tell you what the codes are for the year of manufacture of all tyres if you're interested.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project