Air Conditioning info please

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
lancersr20

Air Conditioning info please

Post by lancersr20 »

Hi all,

Sorry to go wimpy and "non performance" on you all here ... but I have a little issue :$

I sourced a factory Air Conditioning unit from a Sigma ... not sure what model but I think "early" (Air International brand quite some time ago) and are having difficulty working it out to fit to my LC Lancer.

My query is this:

The sensor/thermostat - the probe is actually glued with that messy shit to the evaporator coils (thus measuring the extremely cold coil temperature). Normally, I think there would be a sensor to measure the air temp on the way into the air cond unit.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram/service manual to explain exactly what is going on here ?

I'm also using the Sigma A/C and fan switch !

Any help would be really appreciated

Lindsay
Last edited by lancersr20 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
jigganought

Re: Air Conditioning info please

Post by jigganought »

You will only have to wire up the thermostat and the high pressure switch for the compressor clutch circuit then wire a relay for a thermo fan on the condenser..
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

Thanks jigganought,

But I eally need a bit more info than that.

I have I think 3 wires coming from the "dail Sigma switch" that sits behind the "fan" switch.

I have that thermostat thingy with 2 teminals of it and a relay with 4 wires looping back and forth between everything.

Lindsay
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

I have a similar dilemma. My 1978 GE Sigma SE has factory (or dealer) fitted a/c. It uses a weird fan switch that sits where the normal fan switch goes on the dash, but to turn the a/c on and off, it uses a remote switch that sits to the right of the steering wheel under the dash vent next to the switch that controls the dash light dimming. That switch is completely different to all the others I have spare and sits very loose with a broken knob and hence why I want to change to the other GE one I have that seems to have the a/c on/off potentiometer style switch together with the fan switch, sort of like old radio volume control with left/right speaker control fader under it.

The fan switch and wiring is exactly the same between both switches. My only concern is with the a/c on/off switch. The original weird setup has three wires coming off the back of the remote a/c switch. One is definately an earth wire and it's bolted to a screw on the firewall. The other two are both black wires. One goes to the a/c compressor (only wire going to it) and the other goes on the back of the dash fan control switch.

The switch I want to use also needs three wires to plug into it. But which? Can any of you that has a/c have a look at where these wires go to please?
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989

lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

Hi BAD-SIG,
and hence why I want to change to the other GE one I have that seems to have the a/c on/off potentiometer style switch together with the fan switch, sort of like old radio volume control with left/right speaker control fader under it.
Yes, that's the one I'm trying to get working properly !

I have actually bought a temperature control kit from Jaycar to do a more modern job of thermostat temperature control.
I will let you know how it goes if you wish ?

That's the current project atm ..... aside from a total rewire of the car, fit alarm, fit electric windows, central locking ..... and anything else that I can possibly do to avoid finishing the car before xmas :z

Lindsay
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

Have a look what I just found: http://stkarchive.info/Sigma_GE_Service ... tion24.pdf. I believe this could help us a lot! Off I go to the garage to have a look!
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989

lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

Thanks BAD-SIG,

Could have done with that info 6 weeks ago :(