tail lights

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
psshhhht

tail lights

Post by psshhhht »

Hi Guys,
I need to get new tail lights (both sides) for my GH, and just wondering, besides GE and GH sigma tail lights, will any others fit, such as newer sigs or scorp?

I'm not particularly fussed how they look because i'm thinking about making custom tail lights, just need factory ones for a rwc :)

cheers,
Jer
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
metaldrift

Re: tail lights

Post by metaldrift »

Not sure if ur thinking of this but I had a GH sigma sedan with Toyota Corona rear lights in it, they give the car a different look as they dont come round the sides like the sigma ones, you just have to weld a piece of metal in and smooth it off, and I got the car RWC with them in, but it depends what you want to do lol. However i pretty sure you wont get the later models rear lights to fit, there larger, but maybe the GE. Hope that helps!
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

are we talking 78-81 type corona? would be tempting, but I just doubt it would pass a vic rwc :(
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
S1GMARE

Post by S1GMARE »

I think the GE tail lights are different and won't fit a GH.
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

S1GMARE wrote:I think the GE tail lights are different and won't fit a GH.
really? wow, everything else pretty much changes over so I just assumed... oh well...

LPGalant - haha that would be fully sik, but actually what I have planned for the custom tails that I want to make are gonna be something along those lines, hopefully a lot classier though... *crosses fingers* not happening for a while either way though
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

just looking at pics of GJ taillights, they look the same size and basically same design, so does anyone know if they fit GH?
81GH

Post by 81GH »

yea really hard to find good gh taillights these days
few years ago dad found me some at the wreckers
good condition then i accidentally broke one
lol
what a pain
but yea pretty hard to find these days
85GK GSR - EFI Camn

85AB GSR VR4dia- Build
webby

Post by webby »

This is probably not much help considering where you are but I'm pretty sure the wreckers up here has a GH with a good set of tail lights. Anyway, I'll have a look next time I'm in town
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
colt72jay

Post by colt72jay »

can you post pictures of the tail lights?can get new ones here in the philippines
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

Cipher124

Post by Cipher124 »

psshhhht wrote:just looking at pics of GJ taillights, they look the same size and basically same design, so does anyone know if they fit GH?
I am also desperately in need of GH tail lights, and I'm wondering the exact same thing about the GJ.
Does anybody know for sure?
1980 GH Chrysler Sigma SE - Project - Now with 4G54 wideblock and 5spd BW. Getting it back on the road!
2008 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDI Pacific - The daily

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864268/1
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

u can always but the tail light lens paint (assuming its the fading colour thats caused the hold baxck on the rwc)

Speaking of good custom tail lights.....you can always do what the XE Falcons have (similar style to the GH)

Instead of having the yellow indicator on the side, white it out
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Cipher124

Post by Cipher124 »

In my case, the coloured lenses have perished and have the typical 'old car' lens cracking, and the glue holding them to the backing/reflector is almost all gone from being out in the weather. The colour seems to be ok tho, no fading.
My GH is off the road at the moment under "restoration" (aka the car port), so it'll need to pass a roadie too.

From what I can tell from a bit of searching through pictures on SG, the 'leading' or outer edge of the indicator section of the GH tail light assemblies are vertical, whereas the GJ is on a slight angle.
Hmm, may have just answered my own question :roll:

I am thinking of making my own tail lights using off-the-shelf LED sealed cluster lights of the appropriate colours, like you see on utes and trailers, and mounted on sheet aluminium that I'd fab up to mount in place of the original reflector housings.
If I go through with it, I'd expect a lot of negative feedback, but what can I do? GH tail lights are so hard to find. Necessity is the mother of invention! :P
1980 GH Chrysler Sigma SE - Project - Now with 4G54 wideblock and 5spd BW. Getting it back on the road!
2008 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDI Pacific - The daily

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864268/1
Inasaya

Post by Inasaya »

Scorpma82 wrote:u can always but the tail light lens paint (assuming its the fading colour thats caused the hold baxck on the rwc)

Speaking of good custom tail lights.....you can always do what the XE Falcons have click here (similar style to the GH)

Instead of having the yellow indicator on the side, white it out
Those LED lights are tough to find
Turbo047

Post by Turbo047 »

I've got a set of used GH tail lights left over from a build. Not perfect, but not bad, no cracks. Let me know if anyone wants them. And they are not cheap 8-)
"Just remember, if you aren't forced induced, then you aren't SH#T"
GH Sigma Turbo no. 047

Leyland P76 V8 (next for resto)
Jaguar XJ8 Sport (british racing green of course)
Land Rover Discovery II V8 (the daily drive)