vinal roof

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
andrewharris88

vinal roof

Post by andrewharris88 »

hey has anyone taken of a vinal roof befor??

is it mettal under that like the normal galants, paint straight up??

has anyone done this befor?
75wagon
Admin

Re: vinal roof

Post by 75wagon »

Yeah mate,
Same as normal, but when you pull the vinyl off there will be contact adhesive all over it. Bit of work to get it off.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
andrewharris88

Post by andrewharris88 »

lol thanks guys
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

take out your roof lining and look under that to see if their is any decent rust before you pull off the vinal ;)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The roof will start rusting where the seams are 1st or along the gutters, because this is where water gets under the vinyl if it's going to at all. But if it's rusty I'd take the vinyl roof off anyway, fix it, and then put a new one back on top of it again. The chances of getting the roof fixed good enough to have it look any good again are slim.

Just for interest, I saw an old 1974 MkIII Ford Cortina a couple of years ago that had an original vinyl roof. The roof still looked like brand new. I asked the 80yr old bloke who was driving how he looked after it. He'd owned the car since it was 6mths old and he put baby oil on it every week. I checked it for rust and there was none. I suppose the baby oil would get in where the water would (into the seams) and stop the water getting into it.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

just like fish oil - but fish oil sticks and lasts longer :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

yeah but don't put fish oil on a vinyl roof. I think it would stain.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeh i hate that stuff, just atracts dirt