4G63 clearance issues.

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
Tj.

4G63 clearance issues.

Post by Tj. »

Before you all yell at me to search the forums, I have. A lot.

I'm well aware of the CAS clearance issue and that's not what I'm asking about... well, not directly anyway.

SO, I'm trying to fit a 4G63 DOHC into a galant and I'm in a hell of a predicament.

Ignoring for now the CAS issue, the primary problem i'm facing at the moment is that the bellhousing is hard up against the drag link with the engine sitting more or less where the engine mounts put it.
I've used Express van (i think) steel brackets with sigma mounts. It's a narrow block engine with a narrow Jap 5sp behind it.

With the engine mount holes lined up and one bolt in the mount, the bell housing is hard against the drag link meaning the whole shebang needs to move back. Of course we all know that with a 4G63 the desirable thing to do is move it all forward.
I've tried jacking the gearbox up to level the engine out but it is still not enough to create adequate clearance.
Keeping in mind however, the gearbox is sitting back a little further and hits the trans tunnel before the cross member meets the chassis rail. In other words, if I hack a hole in the floor (which i'd like not to for obvious reasons) it will move up about 20mm.
If I do enlarge the hole, allowing the box to be bolted into the chassis, is this likely to give me the clearance i need for the drag link? (i'm also aware it's not enough for the CAS but that's not the issue at the moment.)

In a perfect world I'd love to move the whole lot forward, which I've already spoken to someone about who says they can easily make new mounting brackets to do so, but theres no way on earth that it would clear the drag link.
Their suggestion was to try and find another drag link that can be adapted to fits which sounds like a whole fuggin can of nightmares.

I know there are a few galants with 4G63's getting around and I've not heard anything about this issue, which makes me think i've stuffed up something else somewhere along the way. If only that dude in QLD with that white coupe that's running the quad TB's was on this forum. I'd kill to know what he's done to that thing.

This is the last damn hurdle before the car is done and it's been heartbreaking to be stuck for so long while being so close.

I have a dead astron 2L sitting in the garage that's starting to look appealing, but I do not want to give up on this engine yet.
At the risk of sounding silly, I'm really desperate for help.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
dwlee

Re: 4G63 clearance issues.

Post by dwlee »

The gearbox you are using most likely has the extension housing that places the gear stick around 50mm (edit: 120mm) further back than the original Galant gearbox. The gearbox would work fine in a Sigma but not in an early Galant. You will need to change the extension housing for it to fit or find a gearbox with the correct extension housing.
Last edited by dwlee on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

We need pics.

Can you just cut a hole in the firewall for the CAS an move the lot back to get the gearbox past the drag link?
Dont try to raise the engine/gearbox it will just mean your tailshaft is on a bad angle.
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

See below for photos of the difference in the gearboxes. The shorter 5sp is out of the 76 GTO and a 4G63 bolts up fine using standard gearbox mount position, but the CAS will hit the firewall (in a GTO). The head is close to the firewall, but there is around 10mm clearance. The longer gearbox is a Jap 5sd out of a Sigma, it will also bolt up fine (standard mount locations), however, the shifter will be approximately 120mm further back (not the 50mm I said in my earlier post). You may have used the Auto mount location and moved the engine forward.

Image Image
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Narrow block Jap 5 speed, out of a GE or GH scorp/sigma should fit fine. They don't have the gearstick extension housing at the back of the gearbox.
Tj. wrote:In a perfect world I'd love to move the whole lot forward
Not a good idea.
It's better to relocate the engine closer to the center of the car.
This helps the car to be more neutral in its' steering, ie: the cars' center of mass is more towards the center of the vehicle, which reduces oversteer/understeer.

Cheers.
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Just chop the firewall or massage with a hammer.
A112H

Post by A112H »

This is one of the reasons I have decided to keep the Stazza block SOHC. I think I might have the same issue with the Starion box :(
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Dumb question: is the steering pointing straight or is it full lock one way?? When i had a 2.6 in my galant on full lock the draglink just hit the bellhousing cover plate.

I was under the impression that you had to use Starion engine mounts for putting a VR4/4g63 in a Galant.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah I thought it was Starion or stock Galant mounts to clear the bonnet and drag link
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Starion mounts wouldn't fit, as in the bolt holes wouldn't line up with the front crossmember. Maybe the starion mounts work with a wide block ???? keep in mind i'm suing a narrow set up. Theres plenty of bonnet clearance too, mind you i dont have the manifold fitted yet and that may also be an issue (I bloody hope not)

I've had another look at this (i've actually been overseas for the last two months) and it's not as bad as I first thought.
The draglink JUST touches the bellhousing with full right lock, but clears it well and truly at full left lock. I've fitted all new tie-rods and draglink so the wheel alignment is comically incorrect which is probably not helping.

If I cut the trans tunnel allowing the gearbox to sit higher up (where it's supposed to be) it will clear :thumpsup: it rubs on the sump but that's easy fixed.

What i'm going to do this weekend is pull the whole shooting match back out and bolt the gearbox in on its own and see if it clears then, that way I wont have to cut the floor. If so, I'll organise some fab'd mount brackets and I'll be set!

Scott, I know where you're going with the weight over front axle theory and you're right. Setting it as far back as possible is preferable and beneficial. The move forward I'm looking at is 15mm - 20mm MAX. The difference will be negligible.
Proof will be in the pudding so to speak.

Hopefully I'll have a little news this weekend.
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Either gearbox will fit in fine. Remember to put the tailshaft in when your dummying things up to make sure the box is in the correct location.
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

Tj. wrote:Starion mounts wouldn't fit, as in the bolt holes wouldn't line up with the front crossmember. Maybe the starion mounts work with a wide block ???? keep in mind i'm suing a narrow set up. Theres plenty of bonnet clearance too, mind you i dont have the manifold fitted yet and that may also be an issue (I bloody hope not).
hey im doing this conversion on my GB, i have cut the firewall for cas, im using starion engine mounts and they seem to be fine only i to fabricate some brackets, im only running the standard galant box at the moment as my funding wont allow for what i wont to do yet, its all lined up and gearbox seems to be in the right spot when engine is in the right spot, will let ou know how i go as i get more done to it. ill take some pics too
Cheers
4GB63t
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Well I've found a solution that involves no cutting or fabricating at all. I'm going to run a 4-speed behind it. Not what I wanted but it will do for now. With the 4 speed everything lines up, in fact the crossmember bolts into the same original holes with the engine mounts bolted in.
I still need to make sure I've got enough room for the CAS, it'll be close be it should be fine.

I think I'm going to have to just keep an eye out for a shorter 5-speed (the difference between the 4 and my jap 5 was about 40mm measuring from the bellhousing to the shifter hole) or I can just bite the bullet and cut the floor. I'll worry about that later.

Good news is the cars is now back on track and after some tidy up work in the engine bay (may as well make it pretty whilst it's empty) it'll be ready for a zorst and wiring and it's done!!