GD clutch cable adjuster ~ firewall mounting

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

GD clutch cable adjuster ~ firewall mounting

Post by 81GL »

Hey all,

Wondering how others that have converted their Auto Galants to manual have put the clutch cable in 'neatly' through the firewall? Looking at the factory type adjuster on the firewall, doesn't appear to be removable, as in allowing it to be used on an auto body for the cable.

Easy enough to make something up that will bolt to some pre-existing holes, but wont look as nice as the factory method...

Cheers all.
Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Torana68

Re: GD clutch cable adjuster ~ firewall mounting

Post by Torana68 »

they are all welded and welding is really the only correct way, bolting one you cut out wont cut it but you could maybe make a HD one to bolt in.
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
81GL

Post by 81GL »

HD one? as in make one up that would deserve the name Heavy Duty?

Any suggestions on how you would go about doing that?

Going by how flimsy the steel is in that area, my thoughts are to try and mount something back to the pedal box. Although that may not be possible with the clutch hanging off the side of it rather than centered like the brake pedal.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

Any suggestions on how you would go about doing that?
flat plate cut to fit and a welded in tube of the correct length all bolted to the firewall... really its easier just to weld the tube in there

Going by how flimsy the steel is in that area, my thoughts are to try and mount something back to the pedal box.
if you copy the factory install it will outast the car....
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Thanks for the suggestions Torana68.
Only have an arc welder, so wouldn't even consider trying to weld one straight in.

Persisted with making something up that mounts to the pedal box. turned out pretty well, so I'm happy :thumpsup:

For anyone who is interested, this is what I ended up with.
Started with:
-Left hand hole is offset for clearance on lower edge.

Dummy fit on a spare pedal box; Auto, so no clutch pedal here.

Fitted in the car; clutch pedal was still AWOL at this point.

Cheers.
Nick.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

This is brilliant.
I wish I would have thought of doing that to my old GB? I cut an original tube out of another shell and tried to re use it.
But I must say, the reason the manual was fitted, was because the car got hit by a dump truck, and wrote the car off. The auto gearbox didn't work well after that, so I dropped in a 4 speed just to keep the car going. I did a dodgey repair on it to keep the car going, as I had no money because the truck did a hit and run. I never got his plate, so I never got a cent. I got another 6 months out of the car before it cost me another cent. It got stolen in that time too, but I got it back.
anyway, that is the reason why I didn't spend a lot of time on it.
But I will certainly look at this as an option on my GD wagon auto to manual conversion.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

:thumpsup: :thumpsup: neat set up!
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)