Historic or New GA/B rally/race paint schemes.

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
75wagon
Admin

Historic or New GA/B rally/race paint schemes.

Post by 75wagon »

Does anyone have any pics of Factory 'Works' or other historic GA/B rally car (or any Galant race car really) paint scheme liveries?

My brother has bought this

I have found these pics (provided by tandanus)

Does anyone have old pics of historic liveries that would be worth reproducing?
I and my brother, would be very interested in anything anyone can provide images of.

Or alternatively, if you were going to paint a GA/B club sport car, what would you paint it?

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Re: Historic or New GA/B rally/race paint schemes.

Post by A112H »

The Southern Cross Galant (above) is the only one I can find but I think a version of the Southern Cross Lancer would be a good choice too

This guy has a few good pics you might be interested in
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iraussieguy/
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

The 1972 Southern Cross cars run by Cowan/Bryson & Chivas/Meyer (JDM 16LGS's rather than a GB's) as above were really the only examples of a "works" GB-type car I have ever found shots of - the factory never ran that model anywhere else of significance that I am aware of ? (Note that the Cowan/Bryson car in the Mitsubishi museum as in those pics actually has a number of stickers in the wrong places compared to photos taken on the event ..... not too much attention to detail when they refurbished it, obviously !) The 3rd team car that year was a GTO.

The factory cars in the 1971 'Cross (AIIGS model) had a different paint scheme :

The 1971 cars were retained in Australia & competed in the 1972 Australian Championship (the new 16LGS appeared for the 1972 event)

I've never managed to find a decent colour shot of the 1971 cars, unfortunately.

Another option would be the scheme run by Scott Harvey in the USA championship back in the day ...

Personally, I don't think the Lancer-era livery would look quite right on a Galant.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

paint the bonnet black and its instantly the same as 90% of 70's rally Galants....... new 1/4 panel to fix the rust?
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
ddt

Post by ddt »

Another option would be the scheme run by Scott Harvey in the USA championship back in the day ...
Yeah, that looks really good I think.

I was gonna suggest running something in the S-G colours unless you had an historic scheme in mind. I reckon almost any combination of black, orange and white would look pretty cool. The traditional white, blue and red schemes above look alright too but would look bland without all the sponsor stickers IMHO.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
A112H

Post by A112H »

I love ddt's idea of using site colours but insted of doing the bottom half of the car in white I would do the traditional rally stripe in white and the rest of the lower half in the orange.
Does that make sense? A dont have photoshop so will make a paint shop pic of what I mean, lol
A112H

Post by A112H »

Like this with an orange roof and matt black boot and bonnet

Or a more traditional

davetrees

Post by davetrees »

That's pretty neat jason.

I reckon pretty much any colors, but paying homage to the traditional factory rally livery looks OK ... eg :
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Thanks very much for the input :thumpsup:
Those photos are great.
It's exactly the type of images I was hoping for.

I really like this :thumpsup:
A112H wrote:Or a more traditional

davetrees wrote:I reckon pretty much any colors, but paying homage to the traditional factory rally livery looks OK
I agree. That is basically the idea I was having.
Torana68 wrote:paint the bonnet black and its instantly the same as 90% of 70's rally Galants....
That was the plan.
Torana68 wrote: new 1/4 panel to fix the rust?
I'm going one step further then that, I'm actually going to re-shell the whole car.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I also like these (although they are all Lancers), but I'm only looking for ideas.

Image Image

Image Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_cvnOrE ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBrlj7HHFA8&NR=1

Dave...
A112H

Post by A112H »

That last one must be a refit or something, pretty sure they didn't run rallyart colours back in the 70's.
What I found freaky about those pics is the complete lack of helmets, lol. Well one dude has a turbun but I imagine that is more to do with religon than safety
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:That last one must be a refit or something, pretty sure they didn't run rallyart colours back in the 70's.
I am very confident that is a much newer built car. Must have been built in 1994 or later. It looks good though :thumpsup:
A112H wrote:What I found freaky about those pics is the complete lack of helmets, lol. Well one dude has a turbun but I imagine that is more to do with religon than safety
True, racing has come a long way in the way of safety over the years.

Ok, here is the plan as it stands right now.
My brother wants me to start racing.
So, he bought the GB in the top pics (he already has a TE Cortina track car that he has been developing).

The plan is to rebody the GB into a better shell (after a paint job of course, after all shiny is what I do best).
Then we plan to enter the car into motorkanas to start and then some khanacross events.

The plan is to build the car into a street driven (registered) car. I will most likely be selling my Lancer hatch when the car is up and running. I can't keep them all :think:

Dave...
A112H

Post by A112H »

I will most likely be selling my Lancer hatch when the car is up and running.
This begs the question, why not just turn the Lancer into khanacross car?
It is registered, it is orange, all the stuff from the Galant will bolt in
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

75wagon wrote:
A112H wrote:The plan is to rebody the GB into a better shell (after a paint job of course, after all shiny is what I do best).
Then we plan to enter the car into motorkanas to start and then some khanacross events.
Why re-shell it (unless it's a whole lot uglier than it looks in the pics ...)? If you are going to khanacross it, you will bend it at some stage. Even doing motorkhanas it won't stay shiny for long.

Seriously, spend your money on entry fees rather than cosmetic stuff ... do as many events as you possibly can !
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Seriously, spend your money on entry fees rather than cosmetic stuff ... do as many events as you possibly can !
I agree. Maybe fix up any bad bits of rust so you don't have any trouble with scrutineering, but don't waste your time re-shelling it.
1976 Galant Hardtop
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

yep fix the 1/4 and run it, dont wast money/time on a shell yet (unless the rails are rusted out) dont waste money on paint, spend money on servicing what you have , a dyno tune and the stuff youll need. Do keep a spare shell :)
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
ddt

Post by ddt »

i really like this one too.
A112H wrote:Or a more traditional
i think something like that would look pretty cool.

+1 for not bothering with the re-shell
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

H'mm?
The advice you guys give is very true.

edited post:
After talking to my brother, and considering my situation and the sensible advice given, we have decided to do it differently.
more on this later...

Dave...
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think we have a winner :thumpsup:

Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

dunno where your going ...but ... first gen Galant panels/shells are easier to find than lancer Hatch. Pulling apart a working car to make another working car is not going to get you in competition quicker or be more fun.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Pulling apart a working car to make another working car is not going to get you in competition quicker or be more fun
Ed Zachary !!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Torana68 wrote:Pulling apart a working car to make another working car is not going to get you in competition quicker or be more fun.
I tend to agree with you there.

My brother and I have had a chat, and taken in the advice given above, and it's been decided that it would be better for the car to stay as a trailer racer. Which means it will live where the trailer is (at his house). I have no means to be able to tow the car so keeping it here, and having the trailer in Sydney makes no sense if the car isn't registered. At least this way if there is an event in the Sydney area then the car wont need to be towed up and down the freeway.
It all seems to make more sense doing it that way, if I would have stopped and thought about it hard enough :think:

Anyway, getting back to the point of the topic, I like the the paint design that A112H suggested and ddt photo shopped onto the pic. But maybe some different colours? Just curious ddt, what program are you using to edit the pics?

Dave...
ddt

Post by ddt »

But maybe some different colours? Just curious ddt, what program are you using to edit the pics?
It's a beta version of photoshop 6 (abt 10-12 yrs old).

Let me know what colours you're interested -i have have the orange, black and white as 3 separate layers so it's quick and easy to change colours.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I was thinking, Black bonnet, silver body colour, black top strip, and white lower strips.

Dave...
ddt

Post by ddt »

Black, silver with white stripe would look kind of like this.
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think the black, silver and white are to bland, they are all neutral. I think you need a contrasting colour;

Like this maybe?
ddt

Post by ddt »

I think the black, silver and white are to bland, they are all neutral. I think you need a contrasting colour;
I agree too -unless you were running bright red steelies or something!
While i was at it, i churned out a bunch of other hues -it could be useful for others browsing this topic looking for ideas.

A112H wrote:I think the black, silver and white are to bland, they are all neutral. I think you need a contrasting colour;

Like this maybe?
this scheme is really sensitive to how bright the silver is and the exact shade of orange. Personally, i still prefer the original orange (with white and black stripes) -but reckon the blue and the yellow would look great in-the-flesh too.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

ddt wrote:Black, silver with white stripe would look kind of like this.
I like it.
Of course you have to take into account that the real thing would be silver and not grey (even if the silver ended up being just a bit more contrast against the white, like a mid tone to the black and white). The white would be more white then how it shows up in the pic too. I think in real life it would look fine.

Dave...
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

davetrees wrote:Why re-shell it (unless it's a whole lot uglier than it looks in the pics ...)? If you are going to khanacross it, you will bend it at some stage. Even doing motorkhanas it won't stay shiny for long.

Im making mine go, stop and turn....yes i want my awesome paint job but will be leaving it looking average until i can drive properly.....want to get a CAMS log book for my LC so might just put some pressure pack cans over it for the photo, good from far but far from good :D

And Dave, your LC is too shinny to turn into a Khanacross car.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well the plan is, my brother is going to run the car as is with the rust repaired (which he should be starting on this weekend). gaPhil's red GA is now in his possession, and the plan is to slowly build it into a competitive car. He will strip the GA and add things like a hydraulic handbrake and seem welding etc... This will take a fair bit of time so the GB will probably at least see 12 months of events as is. My brother like me seems to take on more then he can handle in a short period of time. Anyway, it's not a race to get the GA up and running, it was more about acquiring a good shell and panels while they were available rather then having to go looking for one later on when it was needed.

My brother plans to mostly drive the car in motorkana and tar track events (the original idea for the car was to run it in khanacross events at Awaba, but this idea has since changed).
The events he is planning on entering the car in are all low risk for actual car damage compared to khanacross events.

Because the events he will be running in will be in Sydney, I will probably not be able to enter as I have too much on my plate with overtime and projects here.

I think reality has set in for me and I think if I am going to go racing it will have to be here locally (not Sydney). This doesn't necessarily mean that I will even be racing a car. I have even thought about getting my RC car back out of mothballs and racing that? I've spent thousands on it, and it probably makes the most sense. But time will tell. I've been in discussions with a local member and if a rego'd GC/D Galant comes up for sale that's cheap enough, we may just have a go with that at Awaba? Why a GC/D? Because that's what I have parts for, sort of makes sense doesn't it?
Rally_2.6LC wrote:And Dave, your LC is too shinny to turn into a Khanacross car.
Agreed, and I don't think I could have ever done it to it anyway? I in time plan to respray it properly and then it's only 2 years till my daughter gets her license. So who knows, she could end up driving it?
Rally_2.6LC wrote:yes i want my awesome paint job but will be leaving it looking average until i can drive properly....
Why does it seem to me that everyone thought I was going to give it a show car standard paint job?
It was only ever going to be a quick spray job just to tidy it up. It doesn't take me bugger all to do a job like that. I sprayed my old Datsun 120Y in a day, and it was tidy as after. Which was all I wanted.
It would only take an extra 1/2 to an hour extra to do stripes and stuff.
All I originally asked for was pics or paint schemes from back in the day to possibly draw on some heritage.
Rally_2.6LC wrote:Im making mine go, stop and turn....
This GB already will.
It only needs a hydraulic handbrake.

Dave...