Historic or New GA/B rally/race paint schemes.

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
Torana68

Re: Historic or New GA/B rally/race paint schemes.

Post by Torana68 »

car. He will strip the GA and add things like a hydraulic handbrake and seem welding etc...

foregt seam welding its not a Datsun :D the Galants and lancers really dont need it, they dont crack or pop seams like some cars of their era.

Why a GC/D? Because that's what I have parts for, sort of makes sense doesn't it?

yep! :D
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Torana68 wrote:forget seam welding its not a Datsun :D the Galants and lancers really dont need it, they dont crack or pop seams like some cars of their era.
Thanks for the tip. It sounds like he's going to have a lot less work then?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

It only needs a hydraulic handbrake
You don't need one of those either ... whether for 'khanas or rallying. Sure it's nice to have, but will make sod-all difference to your times (especially in rallies).

The only place my GB is stitch (not seam) welded is around the strut towers .... can send you pic if you want ?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

davetrees wrote:The only place my GB is stitch (not seam) welded is around the strut towers .... can send you pic if you want ?
Yeah that would be good davetrees :thumpsup:
My brother described to me what he found in info on how he was going to do it. Drill small holes (2mm I think it was from memory) along the joins, and then weld them up with the mig. I suppose they just end up being like stronger spot welds? Is that the method you used?
davetrees wrote:Sure it's nice to have, but will make sod-all difference to your times (especially in rallies).
This car is going to spend most of it's time at Eastern creek on the skid pan doing motorkana's.
The hydraulic handbrake should come in handy for throwing the car in nice and tight around the witches hats.
It will be seeing this type of action most of the time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP-32IZa ... rofilepage

He hopes to debut the car on the 26th of this month to run it through it's paces and see what it will do. I'm unsure of the location, he's told me but I have forgotten.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

I didn't do the welding on mine .... was done by the previous owner.

I'm picking up my car again this arvo (finally solved the brake problem after about a year of chasing it !) so I'll take some shots for you.

re hydro handbrake ... yeah, probably useful in bitumen motorkhanas (stock cable one is fine on loose surfaces)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The last event he went to he took his TE Cortina track car. It was at Eastern Creek on the skid pan. They water it down so that drops traction a bit.

I don't know if I'll ever get into what he's doing, I just don't think I can get excited enough to pay a lot of time and money to drive around witches hats?

Dave...
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

I just don't think I can get excited enough to pay a lot of time and money to drive around witches hats?
You might be surprised how much fun you can have in motorkhanas ... and it's a dirt cheap form of motorsport. Will improve your driving ability heaps, too.

Here's the way my strut towers are welded (excuse the rust ... engine bay is badly in need of a coat of paint !) ...

ImageImage

Basically "weld an inch then leave an inch", or thereabouts.
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

You might be surprised how much fun you can have in motorkhanas ... and it's a dirt cheap form of motorsport. Will improve your driving ability heaps, too.
Yep, that's why I do motokhana's.

Dave, your LC would be more than capable of handling a tarmac motokhana as is. I ran Tre04z's LC in a couple of motokhana's when I used to own it.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

I can say from personal experience that a hydraulic handbrake will make life a lot easier in motorkhana's, dirt or tar.
Sure a cable handbrake will work but your arm will fall off by the end of the day, that or after a year or two of regular events the cable will be stretched beyond use. A hydraulic will make it a lot easier and will make sure you get a good lock on both rear wheels.

Combine it with a lock diff and it'll be a ton of fun :thumpsup:

If you don't have a hydraulic set up ready by the time you want to go racing just do what Dad and I did in our old Datsun Sunny that we used to use in motorkhana's and khanacross. pull your hand brake out of the car, push the button in and drill a hole right through the body of the lever that also goes through the catch in the ratchet mechanism, pop a nice heavy split pin through it and put a little key ring on it so you can get the sucker out.
Works a treat!. We did it in ours so we could still use the handbrake to park. It spent a lot of it's days competing at HDCC's grounds in Hampton in the mountains and there's not a level bit of land in the entire lot :roll:
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
brendon

Post by brendon »

anyone found anymore pics/details on this car... it looks horn
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

brendon wrote:Image

anyone found anymore pics/details on this car... it looks horn
Try the Historic Rally Association or AMSAG sites. I think I saw some pics one of these sites a long time ago. The link's are below.

http://www.hra.org.au/

http://www.amsag.com.au/competitors-gallery.php
1976 Galant Hardtop
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Tj. wrote:push the button in and drill a hole right through the body of the lever that also goes through the catch in the ratchet mechanism, pop a nice heavy split pin through it and put a little key ring on it so you can get the sucker out.
That's the setup I have in my rally car .....
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Nath76LA wrote:Try the Historic Rally Association or AMSAG sites.
Doesn't belong to an HRA member. i think it is actually in the USA ?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well bit of an update.
My brother fixed up the badly rusted section of this car, and he and his mate have been competing in a few motorkhana's.
Here's some footage.
The video shows a Datsun 1600 at the start, so they could look back at the end of the day to see where they need to improve. The guy in the Dato has been competing for about 10 years, his experience shows I think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg7cW9QLZao