IRS in a Galant

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
shuggy

IRS in a Galant

Post by shuggy »

Has anyone attempted this?
it wouldnt be possible would it? have to mount coil springs n all that jazz wouldnt ya?

i heard of an LA with it.. so maybe it is possible?

discuss please :)
woops

Re: IRS in a Galant

Post by woops »

It'd be a job not for the faint hearted. Unless you are really good and welding you would struggle to get a worthwhile benefit from doing this. You would need to weld in the strut tubes and tops into the wheel arches, and mount all of the independent cross members at the right angles and positions.This also doesn't guarantee you will actually get a better handling vehicle from all of this work due to the complexities associated with making a vehicle handle really well. Personally i would say there are much better ways to improve your handling such as front sway bar upgrades and maybe an lsd for the rear. Also i would say that you would be able to get a stronger diff for the same money in the solid rear end than an independent rear anyway. An independent rear would be way down that list of handling upgrades due to cost vs benefit.

I hate to say this but if you want an old school vehicle with independent rear suspension the 1600 would be a cheaper option and more worthwhile option but if you are after something different anything is possible.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeah im not doing it, not for me!

was just interested to maybe see if it was possible one day down the track..
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

I dunno I keep thinking of that episode of the Simpsons when Homer designed his dream car, not sure why but I keep having a flashback of it when I read some of your posts :) . . . .

"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
regina

Post by regina »

I love the side steps. Might have to look at fabricating some up for regina.
Mick Carmody
http://reginala75.wordpress.com/
1975 LA Lancer - 4g63 - 1.13.8 Wakefield Raceway
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

hell yeah!
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Seconding the 1600 suggestion there. But they're far from a perfect set up, plus a decent diff will set you back an arm or two.

I have however seen sigma/scorp trailing arm/coil spring set-ups in galants. There was a blue coupe on eBay that the owner had built as a khanacross car (which made me sad in the pants)
The benifits are obvious for a dirt racing car but imagine the hoops you'd have to jump through to get it engineered.

Stick with tramp rods.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
DMz

Post by DMz »

I would go a s13 cradle Ive seen it done in sigmas it requires a fair bit of work, and you would be able to get LSD's and coilovers for it from the drift boys cheap. r180s and r200s form 1600s and early zed cars are getting rare as and guys want arms and legs for them....

Check this out, factory IRS in a sigma!

TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

god dam i want a import gsr :P
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka