Stupid bloody points

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
2Lgalant

Stupid bloody points

Post by 2Lgalant »

Ok half way home from Sydney after finishing work and the old girl dies wondering WTF is going on look at the wires still wont start look at carby getting fuel open the dizzy cap and points arnt open NOT EVEN 3 MONTHS stupid bloody Bosch and there bodgey points now stuck on the side of the road no nrma but luckily father in law has points for it (dont ask me why he has them but hey gets me outa trouble) they don't make things like they used to the old points I think were the originals
Torana68

Re: Stupid bloody points

Post by Torana68 »

never leave home without spare points, condensor, fan belt and hoses as you've found out "you never know"
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

So what you are saying is the part that rubs on the distributor cam to open and close the points has worn away?
Did you lube the distributor cam when you installed them? If not, that's why they only lasted 3 months.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

They didn't wear away Dave it snapped completely off and yeah the mechanic did it's got a little bit of grease on it I think well it's all greasy anyway lol.

And yes I'm going to buy two sets of them tomorrow put one in and the other in the glove box owell you live and you learn don't people say
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

Same thing happen to me once in my GD
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Bloody yet again in the sigma this time 3 weeks had the points in and one of the contact points snapped straight off like WTF seriously is Bosch products just effing shit or is it my luck but it's pissing me off two different cars and two diffrent distributers :@
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

That is weird- are they all breaking in the same location? Just curious - got no idea what's causing this myself (never had a set break on me...)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Can you post a pic so I can see exactly which part is snapping off?

I've been driving these things for 20 years, and never had a problem :\

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Nah was diffrent positions the sigma the contact point that opens snapped but the galant the little thing that rubs along the shaft snapped on it that's understandable as its like a shitty plastic thing but the contact is metal and bam snap I'm just wondering if its the auto one in goulburn getting bodgey parts in or what as everyone ive spoken to has said they have never had them snap
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

If your condenser/capacitor is faulty, it "can" cause the points to arc weld them selves together, which in turn can cause both of those faults.

Were the contact pads still ok, or were they stuffed?

Cheers.
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Nah they were both still like new and both dizzys had new condensers in them
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

I can only guess thay have been incorrectly fitted or the wrong part fitted.... they justy dont brake like this without a reason, what distributor and what points were fitted in there? pickie would be good
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Havnt got the points anymore but they are both Bosch dizzys and both were genuine Bosch points and condensers