GC GD Centre Console?

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
E39A4G63

GC GD Centre Console?

Post by E39A4G63 »

hii

So my GC or the previously had GD never had a Centre console..

but i've seen some with them on brochures and also on some pics on this site..

were they available in aus models at all?
were they restricted to specific trim codes?
are they rare?

and is there any console which could be easily adapted to a GC or a GD ?

thanx guys
1975 GC Galant
1990 Galant VR-4

Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi Only.
A112H

Re: GC GD Centre Console?

Post by A112H »

There not too hard to come by. I think the sedans and wagons was an option or maybe dependant on model but they were stock in the hardtops.
If the car was factory fitted with a tacho then there is a clock in the console, if not the console has two little "buckets"
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Just so you know, there are 2 different types of GC/D Galant consoles.
The sedan ones, and the hardtop/sportpack ones (no wagon ever came standard with a manual console, the GD auto wagon came with a different shaped console to that of the manual).
GC/D GL sedans came with a console that has the shifter location for a 4 speed.
GC/D GL Hardtops and Sportpacks came with a console that has the shifter location for a 5 speed. This one is rarer...

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

Stock console

With a clock, sorry, best picture I have

From a brochure
75wagon wrote:Just so you know, there are 2 different types of GC/D Galant consoles.
The sedan ones, and the hardtop/sportpack ones (no wagon ever came standard with a manual console, the GD auto wagon came with a different shaped console to that of the manual).
GC/D GL sedans came with a console that has the shifter location for a 4 speed.
GC/D GL Hardtops and Sportpacks came with a console that has the shifter location for a 5 speed. This one is rarer...

Dave...
I didn't know that Dave, mine was an auto, I just unscrewed the auto stuff from underneath and the manual boot screwed in, lol
E39A4G63

Post by E39A4G63 »

thanx for the info guys..

anyone know of a console from any other car that i can easily adapt to a GC ? maybe a toyota corona console?
1975 GC Galant
1990 Galant VR-4

mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

An interesting thread this as I have never seen these consoles in NZ. Ours were different. Just the one type as they were all 1850cc engines with a 4 speed.
If you look at my build thread; http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9591
You will see mine has been retrimmed in one of the pics (not the best pic sorry) but looks different as we don't have the two pockets. Ours never had a tacho, just the clock where the tacho would be. My car has had a crappy tacho fitted in an air vent on the right hand side of the dash.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Here you go, here's the differences in the GC/D consoles:
In both pics
left: GL Sedan
middle: Hardtop or Sportspack
right: GD auto

You can clearly see in the pics that the hardtop console sits lower and has a back in it, as it sits 50mm further back in the car compared to the sedan one, that sits up against the heater box for it's back.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

GC Hardtops with auto transmission have the same style as the manual console but with the auto shift plate.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

I am shattered that my auto gc didn't come with a console at all, it's just the transmission part and that's it. Has left me wondering why.. :wut:
E39A4G63

Post by E39A4G63 »

If anyone is looking to put one. The mx32 cressida ones will fit with a little mod.
Ive fitted one today. Along with new carpet.
1975 GC Galant
1990 Galant VR-4

Tritonut

Post by Tritonut »

Regarding floor console.
My younger brother has a GB galant to which he fitted a floor console out of a GE sigma
With no trouble at all.he needed somewhere to fit the stereo and UHF radio.
It all looks neat and tidy and most people would have no idea it wasn't original.
Also have a look at floor console out of a ME/MJ triton paint it black no body will be any the wiser.
Hope this info helps you out if you can't find the original console.
Regards Matt.
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

When it comes to the center console, how did some of you mount your stereos in there or does it just sort of rest inside?
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I fitted mine in the top of the console.
This is the best pic I can find that I have taken already.
I trimmed out the top of the opening, and used a straight piece I cut from a rugged console I had, and plastic welded it in place.

If you need more pics, I'm more then happy to get them for you. But I may be a little slow in getting them up, sometimes I need reminding too :facepalm:
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

In time I will, still got a ways before I'm ready to upgrade the audio in either of my cars lol. I was just wondering since I have a hardtop console :).
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion