cold-air intake & 4g32 carby options

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
driftforlife

cold-air intake & 4g32 carby options

Post by driftforlife »

it seems to me by all the photos i've seen on here that nobody uses cold-air intake, they just have the air filters anywhere in the engine bay with no majorly direct air flow.

i just don't get it, i thought cold-air intake is gives slight increase in power and efficiency, and allows more compression.

correct me if i'm wrong but it just seems silly not do a cheap little modification.

also which of these carbys will work/be best on my 4g32 Saturn:
- 45 upto 55mm DCOE Weber
- 38/38 DGMS Weber
- 34 ADM Weber
- 32/36 DGV Weber

thanks just curious
Current
Nissan S15 Silvia Autech - stanced and low daily/drifter

Past
95 Honda Civic EG VTI - blew up :D
75 Chrysler Galant Sedan GC - :/
98 Subaru Liberty 2.5L RX AWD - old daily cruiser
91 Nissan Silvia S13 SR20DE - filthy drift pig that was a mistake to try have as a daily
76 Chrysler Galant Sedan GC - sadly missed ;(
75wagon
Admin

Re: cold-air intake & 4g32 carby options

Post by 75wagon »

You should work out what end result you want with your car.
If you want to drift you'll need more power than a saturn can give you.

Then again suppose what you call drifting......
To me drifting is what you see on the TV, big horsepower, lots of smoke and speed.

If all you want to do is get sideways, you probably don't have to spend any money at all, my wagon gets sideways all the time when I want it to.

Or you could just drive on gravel/ dirt :D
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
driftforlife

Post by driftforlife »

yeah im not going for professional drift stuff, just fast drifting like what Keiichi Tsuchiya does, not really any smoke at all just hanging the tail out around the corners. i'll wait 'til i get a RX7 or something before i do massive angle smokey drift :D

it already gets sideways but i just want some more power so i don't have to keep kicking the clutch's head in and jarring the gearbox, and so i can at least keep up with my friends in there R31 Skylines, Hiluxes and Crummydoors without blowing my engine.

for drifting in the Galant i'm investigating ways to make it have an LSD.

for now i just make it my duty when it rains to get out on the road :) :lol:

oh yeah, i'm not going to go crazy on the Galant, just keeping it originalish and more reliable.
was just making observation on everyone pics of the engines, was just wondering. ;)
Last edited by driftforlife on Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current

Past
91 Nissan Silvia S13 SR20DE - filthy drift pig that was a mistake to try have as a daily
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

All the fast cars come out in the rain :lol:
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

DCOE40s are the right size for a 4G32. 45s and 48s are overkill. The 40s will get choked down a bit anyway (unless you plan on building a 9,000 rpm motor). They are not a cheap mod....
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
driftforlife

Post by driftforlife »

i just found 2 40DCOE Webers for $200 for the pair. that's not overly expensive.
what do you mean the 40s will get choked down? would a smaller size be more effective?
Current

Past
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Do they come with a manifold for the 4G32?
they are hard to get.
General question:
How do run vacuum advance off a side draught weber?
Do just covert the distributor to run on mechanical advance only? :?
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

If they are good working pair of matched webers (ie both the same series and not Delortos=DHLA) thats a good price.
40s are the right size. The chokes will be chosen depending on what you want your engine to do and what it CAN do.
If you are new to webers Id suggest you get a set that came off a running 1600 - that way they will probably work on yours. Then when youve got your motor at its final stage of development, take about $6-700 out of your bank account and give it, and our car, to your favorite weber tuner. They need to choose the Choke, Aux. Venturi, Main Jet, Emulsion Tube, Air Jet, Pump jet, Idler Jet and pump bleeds. Maybe needle and seat too. Add air filters.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

[quote="driftforlife"]it seems to me by all the photos i've seen on here that nobody uses cold-air intake, they just have the air filters anywhere in the engine bay with no majorly direct air flow.i just don't get it, i thought cold-air intake is gives slight increase in power and efficiency, and allows more compression.

wont allow more compression but might help prevent detonation on hot days (which with a stock engine you wont or shouldnt get) for the hassle I dont care about the 2 HP I might get. Galants dont get as hot under the bonnet as new cars do so the gain is pretty small, which carb? what cam? what compression? big valve head or std? std exhaust or??? DCOE/DHLA etc carbs can be had cheap its the jetting choking and dyno tuning that will eat up all your money
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

What Tandanus said ....

With the choke (venturi) sizes you need for a 4G32, you won't need to go bigger than 40DCOEs. (You do understand that 40/45/48 etc are the "body size" of the carb, not the venturi size, I assume ?)

The ONLY way to set them up properly for your car is dyno time & someone with a reasonable range of jets/tubes etc to try ... there are no shortcuts in this.

If the motor is relatively stock, then sidedraughts are a WOFTAM anyway ... just bolt a 32/36 DFV or 34ADM on it (it's a worthwhile improvement and costs sod-all). In any case, if you haven't done so already, put extractors on it as a first step.

A cold air intake will make such a miniscule difference that you won't even notice it anyway.
driftforlife

Post by driftforlife »

ok thanks guys, i'll see if i can find some good condition down-draughts a bit bigger then the current carby, and go from there.

75wagon, no the 40DCOE didn't have manifolds, which i understand will make the idea cost a great deal more.

yeah the next things i'm getting for my car is new wheels and complete exhaust system with extractors (make it sound better, go a bit better and not buzz all the freaking time). exhaust will be first and if i find a cheap weber that'll bolt on i'll get that too. wheels will wait a while because they're looking to be $1000+ and i don't have that much money that can't be spent elsewhere just lying around. ;)
Current

Past
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The wheels I want for mine are 15 x 7 Koenig rewinds. Best price I've got so far is $1400
panda

Post by panda »

I use a cold air intake for my EFI like this.

Extra holes have been cut between the radiator & LH headlight to allow more 'cold' air into the triangular air box. Box gets almost sealed when the bonnet is closed. :)

panda
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

panda wrote:Image
Love the throttle setup Panda.

Cheers.