timing cover removal on 4g54

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
78ghia

timing cover removal on 4g54

Post by 78ghia »

Hi all, first post so bear with me. Took my 4g54 to mechanic and he broke bottom water pump bolt. he drilled it out but now bolt won't tighten and water leaking badly. I want to know if
1> i can fix this by replacing timing case or are the bolt holes into the block
2> is it an easy job to replace timing case/cover
3> is the timing case/cover the same as a 4g52 motor as i have a spare one of these.
Any other additional information is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
BlueThunder

Re: timing cover removal on 4g54

Post by BlueThunder »

Hi!

I don't know how it looks like but broken bolts can be removed by using extractors. (be carefull with the screwing, when the extractor breaks, it's a pain in the *ss to get them out, the material of the extractor is really hard). And if the thread is damaged you can renew it with a tap and die set. Or you can try Heli-Coil inserts when the thread is damaged too much (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_insert)

Hope this can help

Greetz
Sven
22dodge

Post by 22dodge »

drill out bad hole and use Helicoil (do a google search for what these are). this will restore the threads and allow proper tightening. the only way I've had success removing the front cover is either remove head or oil pan.. both are a lot of work.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

yea, threads are in the block...
tap it out to a larger thread and use a bigger bolt or fit a heli-coil to use the original bolt
4g52 and 5g54 astron I covers are the same.. Astron IIs are slightly wider.. not that it matters

taking the timing cover off isnt really that bad, i think of it as abit of a hassle though.. my navara is still sitting here because i did the headgasket and the chain tensioner popped out and i cant be bothered taking the cover off to fix it, lol.. but im lazy
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
78ghia

Post by 78ghia »

Thanks everyone for the info. The mechanic already removed the broken bolt and helicoiled it then used threadlocker to seal it. it has since given out and won't tighten. i think i will have to go with the drill and tap with a bigger bolt. easier than removing timing case by the sounds of it. Thanks again.
22dodge

Post by 22dodge »

sorry that all the suggestions were completely useless since everything stated to fix it right was done. sounds like you need a better mechanic because if it was done right, you wouldn't be in this predicament. IDK how someone can say that removing the cover isn't all that difficult. it's a pain in the ----. unless i'm a complete idiot, to remove the timing cover I had to remove the head or the oil pan to get it out without damaging the seals or gasket.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

well if youve got lemons sometimes you just have to make lemonaide...

'someone' has to take the timing cover off and fix the thread in the block
yea its a pain in the ass, but its not difficult

p.s. id go the oil pan :thumpsup:
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Exactly which thread is it that is stuffed?
Only the threads on the edge of the cover go into the block. the rest which are located in the middle of the cover are tapped into the alloy of the cover (not into the block).
Depending on which thread is stuffed will let you decide how to proceed.

Taking the cover off isn't the most fun thing in the world to do, but not that bad, more time consuming than difficult.
-be aware that if you decide to remove the oil pan, depending on the vehicle the engine is in, you may find your self needing to slightly lift the engine up to give clearance so you can get the pan out (hits cross member)

All the best mate.
Nick.

PS: ...and yeah... don't go back to that mechanic.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
78ghia

Post by 78ghia »

In response to 81GL it is in a 91 triton. The bolt that broke is the bottom most bolt on the water pump, so now that i have removed the water pump it looks like it only into the housing and not the block. The mechanic has definately used a helicoil but it looks like it has broken.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

91 triton, can't say I've fondled one of them before.

Provided the timing case you already have there is the same, then that would be your best bet. Drop the oil pan and remove the case (not forgetting the 2 bolts under the rocker cover), not sure whether you will have to lift engine up a small amount for clearance.

Once the case is out though, wouldn't take much work to weld it up and have the hole re-tapped if you want to use your original case.

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

oh, yea.. when you said it was leaking water i should have clocked on it was one of the water pump bolts into the timing cover... just take out the radiator if you dont have enough space to work, id try to repair the cover first and if it turns out too difficult you can replace the timing cover :thumpsup:

on my siggy i can just get the sump out without lifting the engine, it should drop down more than enough to get the cover off
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

i have an 88 triton and there is adequate clearance to get the sump out without lifting the engine. only thing required really is a angled driver on ur ratchet to get the sump bolts blocked by the crossmember.
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

so i was working on omy spare timing cover today and 3 bolts screw into the cover and 3 are longer and go through the cover into the block :thumpsup:
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

If your mechanic freaked it,then he should fix it. there are authouriities that you can go through if he won't come to the party.
In NSW,contact the Motor Repair Industry Authourity (MVRIA)