4G63T into sigma?

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
psshhhht

4G63T into sigma?

Post by psshhhht »

Hi Guys,

I've been working out a plan for my project GH racer, and I've decided that rather than messing around with lesser engines and other stuff, I'm going to do it once and do it right. I want to put in a 4g63T from a Evo 4+.
I also want to adapt Evo coilovers, brakes and seats to suit. I'll be keeping the engine fairly close to standard for reliability's sake, however will do a few basic power mods. None of this is going to happen until next year, but i want to know what's involved now so I can continue to work out a detailed plan of attack. (in the meantime will just focus on getting the body ready)

What i want to know is what's involved in fitting the '63 in. Also what transmission are people using (I'm assuming there has to be at least a few who've done this before?)
What diff - was thinking about modding a Hilux diff to suit but no sure, any suggestions?
is the Evo radiator suitable or does an aftermarket or other factory radiator have to be used?

Anything else I should know?

Cheers!
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
turbosigma

Re: 4G63T into sigma?

Post by turbosigma »

Only see a few evo 4+ in rwd, as the bell to block is completely different - http://projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1348 - Make an adapter plate or wait till Bill makes a bell for it.

Evo coilovers/brakes - not much point as AWD - but if you can make a set of dog bones to fit the calipers - would be nice.

The evo 3 and lower - last I know, twin cams use the same as astron narrow bell.

Hilux diff / Skyline R31 BW78 ( no need to cut down ) / ford BW78 ( need to cut down but good 5 stud pattern ) - all good.

Radiator - Nissan S13, about $200 - http://walkercorp.ath.cx/rad-cooler/sma ... %20006.JPG
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

cool, thanks :)
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

far out that rwd 4g63 site has me more confused that ever... sounds like so much bloody hassle, I'm starting to think i'd be better off just getting a SR20DET and Skyline 5 speed and adapting some S13 coilovers to fit etc... while it would mean custom mounts, i sounds like so much less hassle overall
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

sr20 - now your swearing - exhaust on the wrong side.

sohc 4g63 mounts - swap the throttle body - W5x box - diff - done. Same amount of work as an Astron efi install.

s13 coilovers / spindles / hubs - with skyline gtst brakes will go in.
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

besides the Starion, did the sohc 4g63 come out in any rwd cars? I imagine starion mounts wouldn't be that easy to come by or that cheap either?
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

L300 van did - think the L200 ute's may have had both Astron and Sirius but check on that.
panda

Post by panda »

The newer Starwagons used a 2.4 litre Sirius motor with EFI.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

ok, cool, thanks for the info guys. Ok, will probably stick with the 4G... if I went with SR/RB as well as nissan trans and susp it would end up being totally pointless in having a Sigma other than it'd be unique looking lol...
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

I put the 4G63T Sirius (Starion) into my 76Lancer

Went in a treat.
Infact easier fit than the factory Sigma turbo motor!

The Engine mounts needed alittle modding, of the bolt holes.

The stock gear box is Hydraulic clutch rather than Cable, but these guys can direct you to a Sig Box that bolts up.

The Stock Sirius Single cam head and Computer is total rubbish!!!
Sluggish and Laggy turbo.
Which is where the real cost starts.

you can buy the motor imported for around $800,
plus box, about $200(I think, did it awhile ago)
RWD and dont need to mod anything like Sump to bolt in.

Then you can try chasing a twin cam head.
there is a guy in Port Maquarie, N.S.W that has them
But dont think it will be cheap!!!

Or you can try the Evo conversion, but the Dizzy is in an ordinary spot, and not cheap.

At Best try to get a Conquest (American Version) or Starion,
Pre EGR (before Emission controls) bottom end,
and then you wont have to worry about vac pipes and Charcoal cannisters and Cat convertors.

Pain in the butt no matter what you choose!!
But the 4G63T is well know for being a super strong bottom end so your call!

Cheers
D
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

DO a lot of reading on this site.

Starion block and gearbox (wide Block).
Starion Clutch pedal and master cylinder assembly.
VR4 twincam head.
RVR CAS (on the front cog instead of the VR4 CAS on the back of the head).

Install the hydraulic clutch (not hard at all)
Modify the water pump webbing so the timing belt doesn't hit it.

Modify the inlet manifold.

Make a new exhaust manifold.

Drop it in...
Enjoy the power...

Cheers.
webby

Post by webby »

Nothing wrong with the SOHC head, it's teh TBI inlet that lets the team down on Starions. It leaks, is too restrictive and it's a pain in the ass to find injectors for it when they start to leak. And they WILL leak. Which is why one of the most common mods with Starion owners is an MPI conversion using later model 2L Starwagon/L300/SOHC Sonata parts.
Staying SOHC, you're better off using the 16v head from the import 2.4L Starwagon with the Starwagon inlet, custom exhaust manifold and aftermarket ECU. It's more work initially to set it up, but the increase in flow and efficiency over the 8v head is nearly as good as the early VR4 head.
And there's also nothing wrong with the TD05. Mitsubishi used them on EVO Lancers up until EVO 8.
The DOHC conversion is FAR from straightforward, from what I've read. Lot's of little niggling PITA problems that need to be sorted, and then you need a tuner willing to touch the car.
Anyway, head to http://www.austarion.com and talk to those guys. They'll be heaps more help than me. :lol:
BTW, US Conquests used a TBI turbo version of the 2.6, so there's another option.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
woops

Post by woops »

Sounds as though you have a little confusion with the 2.4 starwagon heads. Have never heard of any one using the 2.4L 16V heads on the 4g63. The 16V 2.4 heads are from the newer engines which i'm pretty sure are a different design to the early 2L engines.

The starwagon have a multipoint mainfold which bolts straight to the 2L SOHC head with pretty much no mods but a little metal cut off but the 2.4L SOHC heads do flow better then the 2L Sohc heads and almost as good as the VR4 heads. Also with that head you don't need to change the exhaust manifold from the standard starion manfold.

The big advantage with the twin cam head is better drivability and torque curve and not just the outright power. Also the VR4 cyclone manifold helps even better for drivabilty as the multiple length inlet runners gives a boost in power when the shorter length runners are used. Heck set up right the cyclone manifold would give more power on a NA engine let alone the turbo application.

Also if you want to go for a good EVO engine just go for the EVO3 instead of the 4 just due to being able to bolt it in so much easier.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
webby

Post by webby »

Yep, sorry :oops: 16v was the Magna 4G64 head, but it will still bolt up to the 4G63 block. I've got one in the shed on an L300 2L block, it was running in my L200 for yonks without any problems. It's NA, but.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

ahh isn't the L200 motor the Astron 2L? woudln't it be totally different to a 4g63?
webby

Post by webby »

yep but I used a L300 Sirius 4G63 block, 16v head and Scorpion 5 speed and put that into what was originally a 4G32 4 speed L200.
-Josh.
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

the later model l200's came out with carby versions of the 4g63 but they were narrow block not a wide block like the starion blocks.

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

oh, ok, i didn't realise, thanks for clearing that up for me :)