Sparkplug issue, kind of....

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Superscan811

Sparkplug issue, kind of....

Post by Superscan811 »

Anyone have any idea why the sparkplugs are like this.
On 1 side, they are all clean

On the other side, 1 and 3 are slightly fouled.

The fouling is only on the top 1/2 of the ceramic insulator.

I'm not getting any noticeable misses, I'm not using oil, not blowing any smoke.

Ideas???

Cheers.
A112H

Re: Sparkplug issue, kind of....

Post by A112H »

I would say they are running a little cold and maybe a touch rich, but it isn't bad enough to worry about IMHO
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

My AFR is actually quite lean, around 17 on light cruise and 15.5 on 1/2 throttle.
I'm also using a slightly "hotter" sparkplug, NGK BPR5EY instead of the BPR6ES, which is standard.

To be honest, I'm more curious why only 1 side of the plug is fouled... :\

On No:3 plug, its about 1/4 of the way around the plug, on No:1 it's 1/3 the way around.

Curious....

Cheers.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

when the plugs are tight what does the dirty side face? inlet valve by chance?
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Torana68 wrote:when the plugs are tight what does the dirty side face? inlet valve by chance?
:D I index the sparkplugs so yes the dirty side is towards the inlet.

The head has:
1. new S/S valves.
2. new bronze guides.
3. new valve stem seals.

I can basically rule out wear.

The only other thing I can think of is the vacuum ports going to the PCV valve but that doesn't explain why it's only happening to 1 and 3... :\

Cheers.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Unless the spark plugs were indexed it would only be by pure coincidence the plugs have fouled on the same side of the electrode. Is the distributor worn out? It could explain why it's fouled on the #1 and #3 only but not sure how. Just taking a wild stab at it... :\
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

what spec is the engine? turbo? N/A?
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Torana68 wrote:what spec is the engine? turbo? N/A?
NA
9.6:1 CR
New build with around 15k on the engine.

Cheers.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

ok then the best bet is to pop the manifold and look at the backs and stems of the two inlet valves, if they are somewhet dirtier than the other 2 your problem is valve , guide or stem seal.... doent look too bad yet though. Std cam?
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Torana68 wrote:Std cam?
Stage 3 Camtech cam, the largest they can regrind a standard cam, so it's fairly mild.
Torana68 wrote:ok then the best bet is to pop the manifold and look at the backs and stems of the two inlet valves, if they are somewhet dirtier than the other 2 your problem is valve , guide or stem seal.... doent look too bad yet though.
Took the rocker cover off today to check if the valves had any sideways play but all was good. The seals were also fine, no visible tears. I'll remove the carbs and look.

Cheers.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

carbs? :) you dont have to do much to damage stem seals, are they Mits or cheapies??? cheapies suck ! overheated it? that could do it as well, slightly off square when fitted..... blah blah.....higher lift cam can also cause issues with side loading of the valve/changes to valve geometry etc etc.....
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Torana68 wrote:carbs? :)
Torana68 wrote:you dont have to do much to damage stem seals, are they Mits or cheapies???
Neither. The seals are a premium grade viton rubber.
I use the Cosworth Sierra valve giudes and seals.
Torana68 wrote:higher lift cam can also cause issues with side loading of the valve/changes to valve geometry etc etc.....
I use Scat Swivel foot tappets which help minimize those issues, but, the "Stage 3" Camtech cam has a 1.9mm lower lift than a standard cam. :|

BTW: My engine build details..

Cheers.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

dak dak parts? good things those eliphant feet....