engine series parts interchangability?

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
l3004x4drifta

engine series parts interchangability?

Post by l3004x4drifta »

gday all. now this is going to seem like a pretty retarded question, but i am new to the 4gseries of motors, and i havent been able to find this info in archives or through google, so here goes: do any of the different 4 cylinder engine families share any interchangable parts? and if so, what parts? intake manifolds, heads, extractors, pistons, etc? thanks in advance, for what must be blindingly obvious to most!.. peace.
"if a man has a thought in the forest, and his wife isnt there to hear him... is he still wrong?"
75wagon
Admin

Re: engine series parts interchangability?

Post by 75wagon »

Welcome to the forum.
There's plenty of info here about all sorts, but the key is finding it when you want it.
Here's some of the info you're after Ultimate Topic Directory (FAQ TOPICS) (UPDATED 21/11/10)

This topic in Particular. woops spent a lot of time putting this topic together for just to help blokes like yourself :thumpsup:
Bolt in RWD Engine Upgrades

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

not sure that answers the question which I think is what bits swap between the 4G3 series SATURN engines? if so its everything with some exceptions. You should stick to one engine though, swapping in one conrod will work but not the best idea etc etc.....
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Torana68 wrote:not sure that answers the question which I think is what bits swap between the 4G3 series SATURN engines?
I'm not sure it answers it either, but I read his other posts, and he wants to swap a 4G62 with a 4G54.
So in that particular swap, I'd say nothing for the motor.
That is why I posted the above link.
woops lists motors and drivetrains that are compatible. I thought that may help some?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

ok second guess if you mean any 4G? engine nothing swaps between any of them 4G3 $g5 or 4G6, only within a series

edit maybe a flywheel on some 4G5/4G6 :)
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
l3004x4drifta

Post by l3004x4drifta »

thanks for the responses guys. i will definitley be seeing if the 4g62 flywheel will fit for the 4g54 i intend to use. are the clutches interchangable between the 4g5's and the 4g6's? thanks again for the help. cheers!
"if a man has a thought in the forest, and his wife isnt there to hear him... is he still wrong?"
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I know that the 4G54's there are 2 different flywheel sizes (wide or Narrow block)
I don't know if the 4G62 comes in both wide and narrow block? As far as I know it's only Narrow block?

In the Ultimate Topic directory link that I posted above, there is a topic on how to measure whether you have wide or narrow block. I'd suggest that would be the best place to start.

Where did the 4G54 you have come from? Was it from an auto? Is that why you want to swap the flywheel?

Dave...
l3004x4drifta

Post by l3004x4drifta »

the 4g54 is from a scorpion. its an astron 2 . both engines are manual, and i thought the 4g62 flywheel would probably be lighter? i intend to remove the balance shafts from the 4g54 and add a thermo fan, so it can rev a bit more easily. and as for the clutches, the throw out bearing is cactus in one of them,so i was wondering on swapping bits around? id also like to know if the 4x4 l200 and l300's share the same gearbox as the scorpion, and if the transfer case will bolt up to the scorp box? im going to the shed tommorow night, so i will prob find out the hard way. ha! again, thanks for any insight you can give. cheers! ps. i had already read rwd engine hop ups 8-)
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

and as for the clutches, the throw out bearing is cactus in one of them,so i was wondering on swapping bits around?

Id guess the Scorpion has a jap box so it should, a new one is better insurance.

id also like to know if the 4x4 l200 and l300's share the same gearbox as the scorpion,

they are japanese made but not the same or if your asking if the bolt pattern is the same your best to measure.

and if the transfer case will bolt up to the scorp box?

no :D