looking for info/pix of 4G12 MD engine

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
barana

looking for info/pix of 4G12 MD engine

Post by barana »

g'day, My l300 4g54 4wd swap is going slow and well, and i might just post the pix ive taken sofar to keep you all happy (engine block is painted all up soon and new bits will go in soon hopefully)

Ive had an idea that i might like to work on....

ive read about the 4g12MD orion engines that switch off two cylinders. apparently they have a hydraulically operated pin that deactivated the valves that service the two cylinders that are turned off....(and of course if i run a relay and dash mounted switch to switch off the injectors mounted above these cylinders)

I currently run the factory optioned 1.8l sirrus engine , the 1.6 saturn was std for the sa/sb L300. and in some countries I read the 1.4 was std.

if i can manage to use the switching rockers of a 4g12 on my astron 2.6, to turn of the valves of 2 pots, then 1/2 the capacity of a 2.6 is 1.3 with fuel injection that i am using off a tp/tr in theory i might get 1/2 the power of a 2.6inj = 53kw - almost the same as the 1.8sirus carb.

I could of course at a later stage, offset grind the crank like that other fella on these forums did, and as long as it doesnt cause the engine to be out of balance too much use MD rockers on it then and get 1/2 of 2.8 = 1.4 fuel injected, might be a comfortable combination for cruising on the highway.

google isnt very helpful with orion MD tech or even pictures,

Does anyone have info/pix about this engine? even good pix of the rocker gear would be helpful, thx - Barana
Last edited by barana on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mstrrab1992

Re: looking for info/pix of 4G12 MD engine

Post by mstrrab1992 »

That'd be bloody awesome
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
barana

Post by barana »

:)
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Straight from Wiki

"Mitsubishi MD.......
.......MIVEC-MD system can reduce fuel consumption by 10–20 percent; although some of this gain is from the variable valve timing system, not from the variable-displacement feature.[7] Modulated Displacement was dropped around 1996."
barana

Post by barana »

The details i was asking for, now that ive talked with my mechanic mate, turns out to be a hard ask, as the 4g12md never came out in our colts, maybe jap or yank spec colts/mirages..... will look at the newer 4g69 mivec engines and see if the rockers will fit.
barana

Post by barana »

hmm mivec rockers look complicated....
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Here is some info straight from Mitsubishi about MIVEC.
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/spi ... mivec.html

I think this is an image of the rocker:
barana

Post by barana »

Thx cottees,

i think that mivec rocker looks like it is from a setup where the cam is overhead the rocker shafts. please correct me if im wrong.
the astron II is cam alongside rocker shaft, so i think mivec is a no go.

there are 2 engines that come out with md - pre mivec of course, the G12B and G15B - one came out in jap/uk? spec 82-84ish colt/mirages
and the G15B come out in c10 lancers - i dont think we got c10 lancers here as the 79on colt was produced until 90 and we missed the c10 altogether (and the same body hyundai excel filled that gap in the market)
america badge engineered their colt/mirage/lancers up until 89 iirc so i am looking at jap/uk? colt/mirage/lancers with this engine, has any knowlegeable lancer enthusiasts got any pix or G15BMD country of sale info or any other info to add?