timing

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
fridgeGB

timing

Post by fridgeGB »

hey lads. just put a single downdraft webber on my 4g54. I know i need to advance the timing but just not sure of wat degrees to roughly set it around? If anyone has a bit of an idea that wold be sweet :P cheers
22dodge

Re: timing

Post by 22dodge »

I have a weber on my 4G54 and I have my ignition timing set at 36° total advance measured at 3000 rpm
rob020

Post by rob020 »

i dunno about final advance but i always set my initial advance to 10-12...

i had a rwd 626 that had weber, cams, exhaust, crane cams ignition and a valvesaver kit, it loved 16 :thumpsup:
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Reconditioned and changed the mechanical advance of a GK scorpion dizzy this weekend.

Decided to play with the timing curve to see if there's more torque to be found in the Astron, in a fairly standard configuration.

I Nickel plated most parts to help recover from their worn state, but apart from a good clean, they were functional.

If you have one of these dizzy's, it's very easy to change the timing curve.

The standard dizzy has the pin on the other red slot (on the right hand side), giving around 25-degrees of total advance (including the initial 7-degrees).

The opposite slot gives an extra 5 degrees of timing advance
BUT
it is too skinny for the pin, so I "modified" it to fit.

Also, the spring tension is controlled by a cam (circled in green), which also allows you to change the timing curve.
The spring on the left is for the low speed advance and the spring on the right is for the high speed advance.

With a bit of trial and error, I believe there will be a decent gain.

Cheers.