the good old commadore vs camira inserts debate

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

the good old commadore vs camira inserts debate

Post by astronturbo77 »

hi ive just completely stripped some gh struts as im making coilovers for my lancer.

now im about to go buy some inserts but im a bit worried about camira versus commondore.

is my car going to handle badly with commadore inserts as they are for a large car?
can i get adjustable commadore inserts
exactly what model am i looking at VN, VB etc?

is my car better suited to camira inserts as i have a anchortron and its simmilar to the weight of a fwd camira?
can i get adjustable camira inserts?
what model JD?
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
A112H

Re: the good old commadore vs camira inserts debate

Post by A112H »

About all I can help you with is VB-VP commonwhore struts are all the same and will work. I haven't tried Camira or driven on mine as yet so thats really the extent of my help, sorry
SIR

Post by SIR »

My understanding is that the commodore insert is about the same height as a sigma one and the camira one is around 50mm (2") shorter. If your going for a lower stance then camira inserts in cutdown struts are the way to go.
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

thanks for the comments, ive only got 200mm freelenght springs so i think ill be using camira ones???
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

I dont know about the damping rates of Commo vs Camira, but 40 (or 50 as above) shorter inserts will give you 40 (or 50)mm less suspension travel. Shorter inserts shouldnt affect your ride-height at all - that's determined by your springs. Short struts are good for capturing short springs.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Shorter struts with shorter inserts will give MORE travel than standard with lowered springs.
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

:wut:
"Please explain" :)
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

if you have lowered springs with standard indserts the strut tops will be about 40mm away from hitting the strut itself. but if you have shortened strut tubes you regain your suspension travel and can lower the ride height more.