removing damaged bushes from rear lower control arm

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
Sigmoe

removing damaged bushes from rear lower control arm

Post by Sigmoe »

removing bushes from control arm - help guys im replacing all the worn bushes and bits and peices on the sigma, and learning along the way,
at the moment i am on the rear lower control arms, i used a gear puller to take one end out easily enough, but the bush at the front of the arm was very worn, ive tried all manner of bashing it, using the puller etc, but the rubber is perished as, in the end i got frustrated and burned a bunch of the rubber out, but now i am left with the outer metal bit from the bush itself still stuck tight in the hole. doesnt want to give, anyone got any advice? things to try?
p.s. the way im going now is hacksaw some of the inner bit away and try whacking it some more? sigh..

also another question, the bushes i bought for the rear of the lower arm are different to the one i removed, the new ones are red nolethane bushes? but they seem to be in 2 parts? whereas the one i removed was one peice, and they look to be a very tight fit id like to make sure they are in fact the right part ill get some pictures up for comparison cheers
C_Fernance

Re: removing damaged bushes from rear lower control arm

Post by C_Fernance »

I've done what you are suggesting. Remove as much as the rubber as possible then cut the outer sleeve with a hacksaw. Try and keep the hacksaw square so you don't cut into the control arm itself. Sometimes one cut is enough, but sometimes you need more. Then just lever it out with a screwdriver.
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Sigmoe you are going about it correctly. A press would make it 400% easier but yes burn and cut it your next option. So keep up the good work. :thumpsup:

I would also suggest soaking in CRC to assist the movement department.

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
Sigmoe

Post by Sigmoe »

haha yeah a press would be nice! dingo of a job but hey gotta keep at it! and i bet this will make a massive difference next time i have to change somethin like this! found the right place for the nolethane bushes to go so thats sweet, just need to buy the set of rear lower ctrl bushes
oh well good excuse to rip lots of underneath bits out for a good clean and paint! (noones gonna see them but im obsessive compulsive like that ) haha
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

I used to burn them out many years ago before i bought a press then just cut the shell then either used two piece bushes or used a vice to press them back in
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

I always cut through them with a hack saw. Once you get all the way through a little tap with a hammer and they fall out.