my first (real) project :)

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: my first (real) project :)

Post by 81GL »

shuggy wrote:hahaha if i only i was this keen on comin home to my mrs :P
Might want to edit that if she uses the net :lol: ;)
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

haha she doesnt even no about sig-gal.com its all gd :)
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

shuggy wrote: if i only i was this keen on comin home to my mrs :P
Sounds a bit too familiar. :D

Mind you, I shouldn't complain, I get sex nearly every night of the week.

Nearly on Monday.
Nearly on Tuesday.
Nearly on Wednesday.
Nearly on Thursday.
Etc...Etc...

Cheers.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

hahah same deal here, except in my case its 'no i have to work on the car tonight before i go away, HAS to be done' hahaha
= in bad books :S
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

hey just remembered one thing i have to do, is it possible to buy ready made seat belts for my GD or should i buy the strapping and do it myself?
i want keep the buckles from my GC anyway coz they are the kool metal ones with the logo on the button instead of the black ones with the red button sayin PUSH haha
but i need inertia locks coz mine are buggered..
does anyone have a set? as well as the rear belts that dont have the inertia locks, just the straps..
need her on the road by end of the month so hope i can find some! :P
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

gday guys, got home last night from Broome,
awesome trip, all i did was fish eat fish eat party fish eat party, with a lil bit of sleeping inbetween :lol:
really good trip hey, only 2 months til i go again, but this time i wanna DRIVE MY CAR THERE!

so..

i got home and got in my car and she started 1st turn of the key without hesitation at all, felt greaatt :D
then realised my trip meter said 303km so i reset it, well i trieeddd..
but it wont move :?
it just twitches and does nothin..
is she seized or just being a stubborn son of a bitch?
any clues?

and for you WA reps, my rego expires tomoro on my current wheels (end of 15 day allowance period) and wondering if i buy rego again (300), and then i get my green machine on the road, can i get a refund of any sort, of use the plates off my current wheels instead of having to rego 2 cars??

normally would love to have 2 sets of wheels but currently in debt and a recession isnt the best time for this :|

cheers guys, good to be back to the project
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

here is todays progress

i stripped the interior, seats, carpet, parcel shelf, (but left the dash) i cleaned everythin up and put in my new seats and carpet, but was dark when finished so pic tomoro :D

i cleaned out the boot too and prepped for my audio gear (spare was chockaz wit mud haha)

i also decided to cut and polish half the bonnet to see what shes gona look like in a week :)

i also got my drag link the other day so installed the other ball joint, both new tie rods, dag link, idler arm and sway bar bushes so now need an allignment with the new tyres.

tomoro is weld and bog day for the battery mount and this sucker which i attacked with a screwdriver today ahha :)

i took the seats and carpet out of my current car so now im driving around with no carpet and one seat not bolted in and no door or boot rubbers, feels like driving a mini ute with all the space in the back :lol:
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

shuggy wrote:hey just remembered one thing i have to do, is it possible to buy ready made seat belts for my GD or should i buy the strapping and do it myself?
i want keep the buckles from my GC anyway coz they are the kool metal ones with the logo on the button instead of the black ones with the red button sayin PUSH haha
but i need inertia locks coz mine are buggered..
does anyone have a set? as well as the rear belts that dont have the inertia locks, just the straps..
need her on the road by end of the month so hope i can find some! :P
http://www.hemco.com.au/seatbelts.html

send ur seat belts off to them? they should fix it... get ur seat belts green 8-)

Wow you've come along quickly with it im only up to where you are now... with cleaning everything and working out what needs repair and where lol.

Got my sound system installed though, im prob gunna do a boot install next coming months.
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

GC75 wrote:http://www.hemco.com.au/seatbelts.html

send ur seat belts off to them? they should fix it... get ur seat belts green 8-)

Wow you've come along quickly with it im only up to where you are now... with cleaning everything and working out what needs repair and where lol.
dammnn i wish i knew about these guys, i just bought a complete new set of retractables.. hahah
oh well wen i get them after the pits il swap the buckles over :]

GC75 wrote: get ur seat belts green 8-)
yea i was gonna get them green, white (if i get white seats) or orangee, yes orange.
if i got orange i was gona do engine bay orange and u know have a green/orange theme hahah, but then i thought again n thought it would be too bright, and at the least too expensive till later
GC75 wrote:Got my sound system installed though, im prob gunna do a boot install next coming months.
yea i havnt got everything i need yet but i was smart and layed all of my cables and wires before i put the carpet down, so now its just stick in the deck, amp and speakers and plug em in.
(my deck is at pioneer it broke :[)
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

took the rear bumper off to fix some rust and found a spare original key stuck with 30 year old chewie haha. :lol:

this is my messy plastibond job haha, sanding tomoro :(

plastibond is amazing stuff, its sticky like araldite for about 5 minutes and then over a space of about a minute it goes from tacky to something like perspex!

almost there!

(hope my seatbelts arrive soon and rudds money comes soon to pay off the credit card! :? )
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

gday guys, i read back on this topic in search in finding out if an astron 5 speed will bolt onto my 1.6, and found that a narrow block astron will fit my stock speed. so by rights that means if its a narrow block gearbox it should fit my 1.6 correct??

found one in the rag for 100 bux thought i may as well if it fits or even if it doesnt just hang onto it til i get an astron (if)
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

the key :lol:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
81GL

Post by 81GL »

When you pick it up, make sure it has 3 holes at the top of the bell housing (one on one side, two on the other)

Looking at the pic at the top right, you can just see near the starter motor there is two holes at the top, this is what you are looking for (one hole is used on the narrow block astron, the other being for the saturn)

As usual, you may find the speedo cable & tail shaft spline to be different... so check before you go.

Do you know what box it is? jap/borgy ? - if the bellhousing is removable, its a borgy - not that desirable lol.

Good luck.
Nick.

PS: LMAO at the key man.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Ok i went and had a look its stil stuck to a 2.6 narrow, and i didnt see but i think the bellhousing is detachable, its stock so i would assume so.
With the tailshaft and speedo what would i hav to modify to get it to function right if i did stick it in mine? Would i have to bring the speedo cable over from the other car?
The 2.6 that is attached to it bit bad either. 300 for both. But has a dizzy problem...
81GL

Post by 81GL »

shuggy wrote:Ok i went and had a look its stil stuck to a 2.6 narrow, and i didnt see but i think the bellhousing is detachable, its stock so i would assume so.
With the tailshaft and speedo what would i hav to modify to get it to function right if i did stick it in mine? Would i have to bring the speedo cable over from the other car?
The 2.6 that is attached to it bit bad either. 300 for both. But has a dizzy problem...
First off, what is it coming out of? keep in mind that a 2.6 "did not" come stock with with a narrow 5 speed. if it did it would be a wide block.

tail shaft? depends on if the gear box is a different length to your 4 spd? wouldn't have a clue my self, never touched one. Maybe go back to clarify the above, and take a tape measure and get the length from the edge of the bell housing to where the spline ends, and compare with your four speed.

Speedo cable, remove from that vehicle (un-clip from back of dash), should clip straight into your galant.

So your considering buying the 2.6 too ? (assuming it is a narrow block - Fairly certain a wide block will not fit in your manual trans tunnel - auto trans tunnels are wider) Whats the dizzy problem? there not too difficult to pull apart and re-build?

Cheers,
Nick.

PS: might pay to write down the engine number and post it up, then we can confirm what it actually is, narrow wide.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

81GL wrote:First off, what is it coming out of? keep in mind that a 2.6 "did not" come stock with with a narrow 5 speed. if it did it would be a wide block.
well i was assuming it was stock, the guy lives 40 min away so dont wana keep goin bak n forth..
im not sure wat its out of coz it is a piece of car from the dash to the headlights hahah, just enough to stick a key in n start it up. i thought it was narrow coz the welsh plug is half visible, and i saw another where the welsh plug aint visible so assumed it was narrow...
i seem to remember the bell housing seemed a lil more silver (newer) than the rest of it so it may well have not been stock im not sure, to be honest i didnt even check the gears to see if there wer 5 i just took his word for it
81GL wrote:Whats the dizzy problem? there not too difficult to pull apart and re-build?
ah im not sure, maybe coil to be honest, or a short, there is no spark when turning over, took out a plug and checked, but after turniing over for a while, when switch key form 'on' to 'acc', the fuel is ignited and bang! haha
so must be a bad wiring problem or something, maybe even the key barrel.

im gona ring him tomoro and maybe even take a mate over ther and unwire the whole thing and set it up engine - battery - coil - starter, and just manually wire it up simply and see if it is just a short. he said i just just take it apart if i want n see if she works.

is there any problem wit a borgy if bolting onto my 1.6 for now (i wana drive to broome in july = cheap trip) :D
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Aww okay, yeah 40 min is getting a bit far lol.
& an astron in a half cut? generally don't see that very much at all?
Trying to find a page from the old web site where the engine numbers were listed, that will let you know exactly what it is (any of you guys remember? or have that page as a bookmark?)
It's a good chance that things may of been changed through its life, definitely wouldn't be a first lol.

Must be a pretty easy going guy to offer that to you :) couldn't hurt i guess.
If you do want to put that behind your car it should be pretty right - depending on the condition of the box of coarse :lol: borg/warners really arn't the best things in the world, but, if its been looked after, its better than a 4spd ;)

Hmm, maybe you could give him a call and find out the engine number.

Nick.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

sounds like your looking at a borg warner 5 speed..... Id pass on one of those.
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Torana68 wrote:sounds like your looking at a borg warner 5 speed..... Id pass on one of those.
why is that? just piss weak? im gona b running my stock 1.6 maybe maybe 2.6 later on but im not gona be thrashing her, just cruising. well no dropping of clutch anyway :P

he sent me a text when i asked about the bell housing saying L98L, does this make any sense to anyone? and yes it is a separate bell housing so must be borgy.

so they, shit, but are they better than a stock 4 speed??

PS: got my seatbelts today and a sander so almost there :D
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

... I think they are crap, some may not agree, the Japanese one is the one to get, both are getting old now though, the 4 speed is fine, 5 gears insted of 4 wont make much diference around town.
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeh but maybe maybe driving to broome in july (over 2500km) so want the 5th speed haha
i might just wait til i find the jap.
is there any other options? or only for the astron?
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Torana68 pretty much sumed it up... they are crap. used to have one in my GH... used to called it the 4 and a half speed slush box :lol:

If you can find a narrow jap box in a decent condition it would be a better route. preferably from a car that you can also get the other bits from ;)

Then again, if you can't... i guess a 5spd borgy is going to be better than the 4spd on the highway.

Nick.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

81GL wrote:If you can find a narrow jap box in a decent condition it would be a better route
yeh mate i will defo look out for one but if this is all i can find for now what are they worth? he sed 150.
he also sed he had a 'solid box (box and housing as one)' but i didnt see it hopefully it is a jap :D
what is the final drive ratio on these boxes in comparasin? i want the smallest ratio possible, not too worried about the strength of the box coz im gona treat it wit respect, just want the lowest revs for speed i can get (im poor ahah)

and this is a stupid question i know coz its explained all over the site im sure, but before i go off and look, if i bought the 2.6 - 5 speed together and put them in what are the advantages / disadvantages / complications???

cheers guys

Shuggy
81GL

Post by 81GL »

What are they worth? seems to vary a lot, availability & condition. $150 does seem like a decent price though.
Definitely track down that other box though ;) much better idea (you notice the difference after driving with both...)

5th gear ratio's are: (taken from the GH book keep in mind)
Borgy - .86:1
Jap - .856.1
So the jap box is um, a little bit lower ratio lol. If your that concerned about your crazy high saturn spec diff ratio :lol: The diff centre from a GE sigma will bolt in (same diff). Can't remember what ratio they are, but they are a fair bit lower as you can imagine... Just a thought.

Saturn to a 2.6 ? well, yeah, more power & a bit more weight. depends what you want out of the car i guess. (contrary to popular beleif... a galant will still turn fine with an astron in it :roll: )

Nick.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

thinks for that mate,
81GL wrote: The diff centre from a GE sigma will bolt in (same diff).
so not eh whole difff or axle just the centre will bolt into mine?
do i have to take the ass end off for that or just take off the back diff cover and replace?
man so many options haha
im just gona focus on gettin it over pits for now :lol:

the seatbelts i got fit, but the 2 rear retractable are sedigned to be mounted flat on the parcel shelf wher in a galant the original brace in on the rear pillar. so ive had to drill a couple of holes in the shelf to fit them on, and im left with two holes in the pillars... :(
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

hey fellow noob! :)
Man I'm loving watching your progress, learning from it for my own galant if i get it.
I'm thinking about sticking with the saturn too, well at least while I source a good nick 2.6L and clean it up/detail it... and same for the manual. I think though once I've got all the bits 'n' pieces, I'll bolt the 2.6L to the 4 speed and have fun until it tranny blows (it's not my daily driver so I can afford to be brutal hehe) after that will bolt in the 5 speed. :) Although, if I can't find a suitable 5 speed, I'm liking the idea that was suggested of a GE diff ration with the 4 speed and 2.6L... hmmmmm....
Yeah so many possibilities... it's great! :D
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
81GL

Post by 81GL »

The Galants (as im sure you would know...) run a leaf rear end, where the sigma's have a much better idea... coil springs :lol:

Just had a look at my GD's old rear end (conveniently next to me lol). unbolts at the front by the looks, so you should be able to unbolt the complete centres & swap them? (rather than undoing the crown wheel & pinion individually)

Nick.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

psshhhht wrote:Man I'm loving watching your progress, learning from it for my own galant if i get it.
haha yea without these guys i would have given up ages ago

im sanding down bog as we speak, just came inside to check this :D

i went to an auto upholterer today and a guy asked me 'is that a galant?'
'yes'
'want another one?'\
' :D '

so im going to have a look at it tomoro, asking 300 licenced so not expecting too much ahah
81GL wrote:The Galants (as im sure you would know...) run a leaf rear end, where the sigma's have a much better idea... coil springs
ok so shouldnt be too hard
i have to replace all of my spring bushes my ride is sooo squeeky haha, but i think its actuallt the inside of the shocki, thats where its coming from, and wd40 on the leaves doesnt do anythin. is this commen for the inside of the shock to be squeeky?
and or does nolathane do a rear top shock bush??
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

oh man, nice score there!
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

well me n ma mate macca (my sanding slave lol) finished sanding and this is how i finished on the l/h lower boot sump :)
im pretty happy wit that for my first rust repair ever haha

this is what i did on the inside, i stuck security mesh in with sellys (proud sponser of (dave) the cricket) haha. and then used polyfill to fill it in, turned out a treat

will this get over pits?

i also installed my seatbelts today, and will be puttin new door trim in when i log off :P
but i snapped my parcel shelf today (sat on it :x ) so gona have to cut a new one of those too now too...

PS i took her for a drive to my mates today (1st time after replacing all the steering stuff) and it was impossible to keep her straight...good thing wheel allignment and new tires are tomoro :D woooo
Last edited by shuggy on Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.