My GC Hardtop project

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
A112H

Re: My GC Hardtop project

Post by A112H »

Cheers for that 77galantv6, so they would use the same centres as VL V8 and turbo, XE/F Falcon and a few others. Very nice and cheap to rebuild, I am very happy with that find now :D
A112H

Post by A112H »

Paid for my new hardtop today, not picking it up until middle of January. Then I have 2 weeks annual leave so lots will happen then.
This spare car has great doors, mine are rusty under the window trim. It also has K-Mac strut tops, good front gaurds and bonnet as well as spare boot lid and glass.
I still don't have calipers or brake lines for my GH struts and guess what ......... this car has GH struts and brakes :)
Looks like I might have a buyer for the rolling shell once I have pinched the bits I want. Thats really good news, I was worried this hardtop might go to heaven but looks like it will live again one day :)
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

Defiantly living again, and yes i will be taking it. With whatever other parts you can chuck in :)

Rear seat, front window and rear :think: ??

Also if you have the qtr panels and bonnet spare would be good, my bonnet isn't the best... and also my quarter panels need alot more treatment then yours :)

other then that, shall be a complete car once i get it over :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

Will also need the metal bit on either side as to where the windows wind in to. Thats it :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

How sweet is it to be South Australian???
Can't answer that? Not sure? Don't want to admit it is the best state to own a car?

Check this out;
My Galant hasn't been registered since 02/07/2005, yep near 5 and a half years. So today I had to go to motor rego anyway so I thought I might aswell put 3 months on the hardtop to see me through until the build is done.
I get the old rego papers and off I go. Walk into Transport SA and ask for an application for new registration (Form MR1). Fill in the details and wait to be called. Cruise upto the counter, the girl checks the details, takes my $200 and gives me a sticker.
Galant is registered, not running or complete but registered :thumpsup:

Sticker on the window :P
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

nice work (H)

gotta re-reg the sigma, may also be bringing it over to adelaide :)
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

SA is awsome, the GB i bought was 10yrs out of rego and had to be transferred into my name. Walk in, fill out the forms, pay the money and ay-presto, no going to Regency or anything.

Just curious, why have you put rego on the car if it is nowhere near running??
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

A112H

Post by A112H »

I thought it was a 7 year limit without needing inspection but I had also been told it was only 5 years. So I was bored and put it to the test, lol.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Yeah, i heard the 7yr limit aswell. Oh well, guess it's a load of bulls**t or just got lucky.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i always thought it was 3 years. but maybe as its not registered as turbo or v8 or a commo etc they didnt make a fuss. SA rego system is good not having to do rwc etc but we cant have as many legal modifications as they can interstate and as last i heard any car that is engineered interstate does not count in SA and has to be re engineered and then go through regency. SOME of the law enforcers im also not a big fan of.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Galant_GT0 wrote:How sweet is it to be South Australian???
Can't answer that? Not sure? Don't want to admit it is the best state to own a car?

Check this out;
My Galant hasn't been registered since 02/07/2005, yep near 5 and a half years. So today I had to go to motor rego anyway so I thought I might aswell put 3 months on the hardtop to see me through until the build is done.
I get the old rego papers and off I go. Walk into Transport SA and ask for an application for new registration (Form MR1). Fill in the details and wait to be called. Cruise upto the counter, the girl checks the details, takes my $200 and gives me a sticker.
Galant is registered, not running or complete but registered :thumpsup:

Are you F-ing kidding me???

Thats awesome!

In N.S.W if our rego is out for more than 3 months we have to have a full inspection etc.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Yeah, the Rego over here is pretty awsome. you can have 3, 6, 9 or 12months at a time. Can let it lapse for so long and re-rego without inspection. We also have Historic rego scheme for cars 30yrs and older ($125yr for 90days use via a log book, must be a member of an affiliated car club setup for this rego) so long as they are to the spec's of what it could have left the factory with. We are also working on getting SIV (special interest vehicle) rego setup, will be simular to historic but will allow modification's. Dont really need to go to Regency (our main inspection place in SA) unless you get a major defected (minor goes to a cop shop) or get a vehicle from interstate/overseas.

A112H

Post by A112H »

WOOHOO, just paid for my GSII badges. Took a while to finaly find some but these look in very good condition and I couldn't be happier :thumpsup:

Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Nice find there with the badges. They look good.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
A112H

Post by A112H »

Okay, so had a few weeks off now and really have achieved bugger all until today, lol
So, here is my Hardtop (project) with all 4 15's on and starting to look how I want. The back needs lowering but until the new diff is shortened to suit there is no point messing with the rear suspension just yet.

Oh yeah, it could also use some paint, lol. It is booked in for the middle of Feb so should be back in March sometime looking all shiney and white.

He has a new room mate that I picked up this morning. He will supply a few parts I needed and then he has a new home in NSW :D

Spun me out how much lower mine is, they both missing engine, gearbox and interior, both on 15's too. Mine has the coil overs but I didn't think it made it that much lower. I had to take a pic :P
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

this thing is looking awesome, makes me want one too :thumpsup: cant wait to see it in person once its done

M.B :thumpsup:
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

more pics of the other one (H) (H) (H) :) :) :)
A112H

Post by A112H »

Thanks 84GKSIG it is getting there slowly. When it comes back from paint I will get the seats re trimmed so then it will just be waiting on mechanicals.

GC75, thats all the pics I have of it because it started to rain so I had to push them both into the shed. Good news is it has pretty much no rust!! a little at the bottom of the rear 1/4's and some surface rust at the bottom of the back window. Has no massive holes in the front sub frame like your last one, lol, you can see how clean the sub frame is in the last two pics.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Hey GC75, it also has a Siggy diff and hand brake set up in it :)

Now that I have some good straight doors I have re fitted my door trims and stuff, too late for pics now, tomorrow :)
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

mad and yeah seen the rail haha, looks heaps better then my last. (H)
A112H

Post by A112H »

I will get some more pics tomorrow, anything in particular you want to see?
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

Anything really haha, have you spotted any rust at all in it??
A112H

Post by A112H »

Pics sent.

I was up early this morning and messing around with the Galant and this happened.

My 15x8 +0 widened rims fitted with 205/50's ended up on the front for a look and I really like it :D
Of course they will tip in a bit at the top when the engine and gearbox are fitted so should just sit under the gaurds
This is how the fronts sit at the moment

What do you guys think?

I have more room on the back to play with
so I am thinking about using these on the front and get the fronts made 15x10 for the back :wut: :\ :think: :thumpsup: (H)
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

for legalites?? are you going to run a front side indicator? Wheels look good!! :thumpsup:
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i like the widened stockies. makes it look tough without looking like your trying to. if ya get what i mean. wish i had coilovers but its just not in the budget. already going thousands over my allowance for the build. stupid mechanics bills!!! front offset looked tough.....
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

@GLANT - Nah, not running a side indicator. We don't have inspections in SA and lots of cars didn't have them at the time so I am sure it would never get asked. If I do get done for it I will just chuck the stock gaurds on it to get the defect removed :)

@Ken - Yeah I like the 8's on the front but I think they look "heavy" where the 6's look "lighter". It is hard to explain but the moore I look the more I think I might leave it as is. I have some 25mm bolt on spacers that I might try on the front to fill the gaurds out and I have some 10mm slip on's I will try on the rear.
Have you looked at the coilover kits on eBay? They are pretty cheap and if you do most of the work it wouldn't cost must to get someone to weld them up.
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

yeah ive lookd at the sleeve kits. just cant afford it yet. want to get new wheels, alarm, cd player, paint, front seats, and door trims and rear seat retrimmed. that what my plan from the start so want to get that all done first
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah, it is a bugger trying to sort out a list isn't it, lol. At the moment I think mine is like this;
Feb - Paint
March - Re-trim and diff
April - Rubbers
June - New fuel lines and boot fit out
July, August - Engine and wiring
September - Gearbox and tail shaft
October - Exhaust
November - Fun :thumpsup:
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Come on Jason!! I come back here after many months expecting completion, and its in more pieces again! Get your act together fella :hit:

:D :P
ddt

Post by ddt »

i really like your rims/tyres. i reckon 6s on the front is probably the go too. love how those tyres sit on the 8s -perfect!
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742