My GC Hardtop project

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Superscan811

Re: My GC Hardtop project

Post by Superscan811 »

A112H wrote:Basically the ITB's are out, apparently they are a pig to tune and once they are tuned they will hold that tune for about 4 minutes, lol.
Hmm.
Almost all 4 cylinder motorbikes now days use quad throttle bodies.

Guess it wouldn't have anything to do with how many parts they can't to sell you (jets, emulsion tubes, gasket kits, accelerator pump cam, etc...etc...) if you buy a quad throttle body setup.

And to be honest 2 twin side draft carbies are a "quad throttle body" setup.

The only "tuning" Quads require is actually "BALANCING", which takes me less than 5 minutes on a carby setup.

Cheers.
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

yea I wouldn't believe everything you hear Jason :P there are plenty of standard cars that come from factory with ITB's GTi-R's for example
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think the situation is made worse by the fuel only MT4 I was planning on running, it cant sense vaccum or atmospheric pressure and things like this is what will make it run shitty
A112H

Post by A112H »

BlueThunder wrote:maybe the computer runs on windows? :p
Maybe Vista :lol:
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

i think its a MAC.. :lol: :lol:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
A112H

Post by A112H »

Just fitted my gearbox, only took about 45mins on the floor, on my own :P
I was hoping it would fit no problem but unfortunately the gear stick hole is about 50mm out :( I thought it would be but no harm in hoping :D
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Have you hacked up the hole yet?
If not give it a good measure and make a new panel with the same size hole in the newly required location, so you can still use the factory rubber boot/seal.

If you've already hacked up the hole, then this is probably too late :think:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

Nah, haven't hacked the whole yet. I have the rubber and surround from the Starion I was going to use, it is about twice as long as a Galant or Sigma one and will easily cover the bigger hole. Besides the hardtop was auto so I don't have the correct rubber and stuff anyway :( and I am not sure if the auto hole is the same as a manual hole?
There is a manual 2.0 GE at u-pull-it, might go and see what I can use from that in the morning.
Cheers for the idea though Dave, if I can get the factory parts I will certainly want to keep it neat.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Got the whole cut nice and neatly and shifter is in :thumpsup:

I have a question;
If I decide to go for webers, they only want the fuel pressure around 4-5psi. If I run my surge tank and fuel pump (Bosch 910) it runs around 70psi. Will it damage my pump to restrict it via a regulator to 5psi?

Would I just be better of running the facet pump (Solid State #40106 4-6psi) alone and keep the 910 for a efi turbo build later on?
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

hey jason,why cant you run both the facit pump and external pump?i dont think it would stuff anything up either.wont it just run the pressure that it wants too :think: ...
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Not sure if the carbies will like having uber pressure fed into them, I'd use a low pressure pump and keep the bad boy bosch for your injection upgrade...
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah, not sure which way to go with the fuel system yet. I would still like to use the full system and just use a regulator, then I dont have to ef' around with it later on down the track. The pump should be fine, I have been doing some reading and most stock efi systems only run 7-10psi and factory pumps run at 40+psi so they obviously don't mind the regulation.

Well, on the intake side my mind is made up. I have found a triple 45 DHLA dellorto set up complete with manifold to suit slant 6 Valiant and all linkages. All I gotta do now is get the guy to answer his phone :P But I should be able to get it for pretty cheap and then make some money back selling off the extra carb and brand new manifold :thumpsup:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Isn't the pressure regulator fitted to the fuel rail on factory EFI? Most EMS will simply retune the injector pulse until it runs a normal A/F mixture. A trick carbies can't learn... It won't kill the pump to have the pressure restricted but I still think the carbs won't be happy. Anyone else got input on this one?
A112H

Post by A112H »

This is the sort of thing I am thinking, a universal reg that mounts in the fuel line not on the rail.
A driving force to be honest is the fuel tank, lol. I ripped it out ages ago and will be running the fuel cell, and think it will look a bit funny in the boot with out the surge tank and pump :think:
Worst thing that can happen is it doesn't work and I will remove the pump.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

the guy I bought my turbo motor off of was running a solid state facet style pump like what you would use to feed into your surge tank, he had it in the engine bay and ran it into the stock carby on the sigma turbo suck through set up, although max 7 psi he recons it would flood it like mad during idle due to the needle seat pressure being too high? so he ended up buying a fuel pressure reg, for a pump as heavy as your bosh, youd probably be able to safely use a 3 way FPR, fuel pressure regulator with line in, line to carby out and return out, almost like an efi regulator but without a vacuum reference :thumpsup:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-PROCOMP- ... 1e65388704 somthing like this maybe?

ebay is your friend :P

M.B :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sorry forgot to put the link in my last post, lol
This is what I was watching http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT to keep with my theme what ever reg I use will need to be red, chrome is also acceptable
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Here's a nice one..

Injected Bypass Fuel Pressure Regulator

A bit expensive but it does fit your criteria.. :D

Cheers.
A112H

Post by A112H »

WOOHOO Red and practical :thumpsup:

:( Just re read and the adjustable pressure range is 40-70psi, I need one that drops to 1-3psi at it's lowest setting
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Well in that case THIS ONE should work. :lol:

Cheers.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

A112H wrote:Yeah, not sure which way to go with the fuel system yet. I would still like to use the full system and just use a regulator, then I dont have to ef' around with it later on down the track. The pump should be fine, I have been doing some reading and most stock efi systems only run 7-10psi and factory pumps run at 40+psi so they obviously don't mind the regulation.

Well, on the intake side my mind is made up. I have found a triple 45 DHLA dellorto set up complete with manifold to suit slant 6 Valiant and all linkages. All I gotta do now is get the guy to answer his phone :P But I should be able to get it for pretty cheap and then make some money back selling off the extra carb and brand new manifold :thumpsup:
no no no no, stock efi systems run at 30-45 psi and upwards, that is completely wrong.
84GKSIG wrote:the guy I bought my turbo motor off of was running a solid state facet style pump like what you would use to feed into your surge tank, he had it in the engine bay and ran it into the stock carby on the sigma turbo suck through set up, although max 7 psi he recons it would flood it like mad during idle due to the needle seat pressure being too high? so he ended up buying a fuel pressure reg, for a pump as heavy as your bosh, youd probably be able to safely use a 3 way FPR, fuel pressure regulator with line in, line to carby out and return out, almost like an efi regulator but without a vacuum reference :thumpsup:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-PROCOMP- ... 1e65388704 somthing like this maybe?

ebay is your friend :P

M.B :thumpsup:
yes this is becasue in a suck through setup the carbs runs like a normal carby, as long as there is enough fuel flow to keep up with demand its fine.

jason if you ran a efi 910 pump with a regulator and regulated it down to say 5 psi, you would need a return line to back off the pressure to the tank, thats WAY overkill.

please join performance forums, people there know their shit!
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
webby

Post by webby »

If RPW are telling you that a well tuned set of individual throttles will drop a tune every 5 minutes then they're full of shit. Either that or they're using a Microwreck.
Go with the throttles and get them tuned by someone who knows what they're doing. Provided you don't change anything after you get it tuned you'll NEVER have to touch them again.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cheers for the input guys.
I have deceided to go for the carbs and bought these

48mm DHLA Dellortos.

I have a brand new manifold already and will not be using the Bosch 910 fuel pump. Both the pump and the manifold are open to expressions of interest.

I have just spent last night and today in Sydney with work and only got home an hour ago but thought I would give an update and some pics

These are from the 39th floor of the AMP building where my conference was today, pretty sweet view
This pic is amazingly clear for my phone camera.
If you look closely at this one you can see the Boral logo on my shirt and my hand holding my phone, lol
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

are you still in Sydney?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Unfortunately not, I flew out a 6pm tonight :(
I didn't get to visit anyone but I did spend about an hour last night on the phone talking carbs to a member if that counts, lol
I think I will be back in about 6 weeks, I will arange a weekend stay over that time :)
A112H

Post by A112H »

So I have just done a quick scan of ebay and there are no 48mm ram tubes on there. Will 45 tube's be okay?
colta51

Post by colta51 »

if you going dellortos you might be intrested in these to..? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DELLORTO-DHL ... 2eb4c40e61
im getting this set up on payday as it looks much better and safer than the usual ones you see.. :thumpsup:
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Going by this, 45 rams will fit on a 48 Dell'Orto.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RAM-TUBES-TW ... 500wt_1110

So these might be worth looking at?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Weber-Ram-Tu ... _685wt_877
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think so to. I need to find some in a shop, like with walls and bricks not just ebay, lol
I am not convinced that $70 is a good price. Might head of to OG Speed Shop tomorrow and have a look.
Whilst on the subject I got a guy at Autobarn pissed off with me today :hit: I was in there looking for ram tubes, I entertained the guy when he had no idea what I was talking about, he then showed me the cool carbies they have, then I explained they were rams/induction tubes he steered me towards cheap nasty intercooler piping, lol. He tried to explain that they had a big range of redline products but nothing like what I was asking for. The thing that got him ticking was when I suggested his "performance" section was nothing more than a section to pretty up Commodores and Hyundais. I watched him getting red faced as he tried to explain they only had popular items and the more "race" items would need to be ordered :lol:
Sometimes I love being a jerk :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:I suggested his "performance" section was nothing more than a section to pretty up Commodores and Hyundais.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

hahaha I have never bought anything from autobarn for that exact reason :P