My GC Hardtop project

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
A112H

Re: My GC Hardtop project

Post by A112H »

So I have been chatting with a fellow member today and have some plans for the hardtop over winter. We are swapping the head for a M6-7 with 2.5mm shaved off and quad TB EFi.
None of this will be happening until after we move but I will be collecting parts.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

ragtop gallant? more info please. it actually looks really good. i like it. this wasn't a factory option was it?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Nope, not a factory option. This one was converted in the late 80's, as far as I am aware it might be the only one in the world. I like the look of it but prefer the hardtop.
We bought it a few weeks ago as a project for my Son's first car, he will be 16 in June so we have about two years but it really doen't need too much work, mainly cosmetics.
It is engineered in Victoria and was last registered as a Chrysler Convertible and also with the 2.0 Astron and 5 speed. Should be a good looking car when it has a new roof, new paint and a few bits and pieces.
I will start a build thread for the ragtop once we get stuck into it later in the year, got to sort out what needs doing to the hardtop first and we are selling our house so want to keep both cars complete and running for when we move.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

tell me about it. nothing worse than having to move a car that doesnt run. its a real PITA. i look forward to the build thread.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Been a while, thought I would add some vids I just uploaded

First start up
13th Nov 2011
http://youtu.be/tCBccnAVjMc

Bit of tuning and a few thick revs :) 26th Nov 2011
http://youtu.be/hdUzvgOC51U

Maiden road test
http://youtu.be/HbTLLNgNH6Y
A112H

Post by A112H »

Okay, so I have been messing with the timing a bit over the last few days and it seems I am like 1/2 a tooth out.
Where it runs the best is with the housing fully advanced, if I shift it one tooth it needs to be fully retarded.
It is like the sweet spot is unobtainable :banh:

Do I need to spin it 180 and move the leads?

Any ideas?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I'd give it a go. I had the same problem when I did a head swap on my LB. Full advance, gave a cough but wouldn't run. Forward a tooth and full retard, gave a cough but wouldn't run. Rotated the diz 180 deg, swapped the leads..and bingo, fired and ran first twist of the keys. Soooo freaking frustrating to pin down this as being the reason my engine wouldn't do it's thing :@
A112H

Post by A112H »

I read somewhere that Holden red motors have a 13 tooth dizzy so if you are 180 out this is the problem you get. Not sure about the Astron but will give it a go on the weekend.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

I took the pin out of the tooth on the wnd ot the dizzy and spun it around 180 then put the pin back in... just gotta be careful not to break the tooth doing this.
by doing this #1 is still in the origional spot, so if any mechanic or someone else touches it they not gettin messed up.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

A112H

Post by A112H »

What ya doing Saturday Mike?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Well peeps, the big move is Wednesday so I will be dismantling the PC tonight and maybe not back until Thursday, assuming the Internet and electricity get connected as planned, lol. I will be back with pics of the Scorpion and lots of info as well as pics of my lovely new shed, pit and the Gally safe in his new house.
Catch ya on the flip side ya'all.
GalantGC

Post by GalantGC »

Great thread Jason, I spent hours last night and this morning reading your build. Sweet looking Galant. Well done.
Cheers Pete.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cheers Pete, been a long build and still not done but I am happy with it :P
It is in the shed at the moment as I have started phase 2, lol. Replacing front panels and repainting the engine bay, with a twist. Building a 4G63 DOHC from a HG Galant GSR, hoping to make 150RWKW N/A. I bought a GH Scorpion diff to use as spares to get the EX Lancer lsd rebuilt and re-fitted.
I have pulled the front panels off so far and started collecting a few go fast bits for the 63, I want it back on the road before Christmas.
My weak link at the moment will be the gearbox, as the 63 is a narrow block I am not sure what else to do except get my narrow block Jap 5spd rebuilt.
Any ideas guys?

Oh and I have borrowed a dongle from my Wife's works IT department for the week, home internet should be on by Friday, but this means I can chuck up some pics of all my doings, lol
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Sounds like a busy few months Jase!

Should be even more of an animal when ya done! Cant wait to see it cruisin this summer! :thumpsup:
and definitely cant wait for PICS ;-)
Cheers Ben
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

maybe something like a supra box conversion like my starion had would be in order? narrow borgwarner manual bell housing + adapter + supra box + tailshaft yoke ? supra box shouldnt be too hard to grab and probably best bet is austarion for the adapter+ modded borgwarner bell housing?

expensive but close to bullet proof way of eliminating gearbox weak link issues, all depends on how its gonna be driven :P
A112H

Post by A112H »

Supra box is a good idea but I tend to think there must be a stronger more modern box around these days, maybe a 6 speed from an MX5 or S2000 Something like that (H)

Pics of my new shed and what I am up to :thumpsup:

Shed
Pit
My Pitstop :P
4G63's. One is a keeper from a HH GSR Galant and the other is spares from a Hyundai
Bits that came with the engines
Sexy bits already being collected :P
GH Scorpion diff and handbrake cable
Found out that the chrome centre caps from the new Tritons fit my R31 steel wheels, look better than the painted L300 caps
Started stripping the front end to remove engine, paint engine bay then fit the 4G63 and new front guards and bonnet.
Need a new sticker for the 63, lol
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

if money isnt an issue there shouldnt be any problem experimenting with other boxes and seeing what could be made to fit up, sadly for me $$$ is a problem :hit: what about that hyundai with a 6 speed rwd box in it ? same engine pattern ?
A112H

Post by A112H »

I like how you are thinking 84, yeah I am looking for a price on a Genesis Coupe box :thumpsup:
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

haha outside the box! (or the box itself atleast... ;-) ) i like it!

will be watching this closely! Keep it up Jase!
Cheers Ben
webby

Post by webby »

That 6-speed is also OEM fitment in S15's and RS200 Altezzas. Apparently they don't like it if you get too hard on them, but if people use them in hotted up Altezzas behind a 200rwhp Beams 3GSE without any issues then an atmo 4G63 isn't going to pose any problems.
You're looking for a J160.

Not sure what the Genesis 'box is, could be the same one?
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
A112H

Post by A112H »

So I have started to strip down the 4G63 and have found a very well looked after engine, needs new gaskets now that I have pulled it down but everything is in perfect condition. Very happy camper :D
This has inspired me to buy some pretty shiney stuff for it, lol. The following is in the mail to me :thumpsup:
Clear cam cover to show off the blue gears

Fancy HKS oil filter
Fancy 4G63 HKS oil to go with the fancy filter :lol:

Shiney pulley kit

And a cam belt kit complete with waterpump

Thermostat relocation kit from Jay Racing
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Its gonna be so pretty lol! :P

Nice work Jase looks like it should be awesome! :thumpsup:
Cheers Ben
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:Started stripping the front end to remove engine, paint engine bay then fit the 4G63 and new front guards and bonnet.
Jason, please, please tell me this means it's going all white?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

75wagon wrote:
A112H wrote:Started stripping the front end to remove engine, paint engine bay then fit the 4G63 and new front guards and bonnet.
Jason, please, please tell me this means it's going all white?
Not quite, lol
Benharjon wrote:Its gonna be so pretty lol! :P

Nice work Jase looks like it should be awesome! :thumpsup:
Fingers crossed Ben. I am not chasing silly power or anything, really just looking for a modern version of the DOHC engines from the GTO and the like. If it makes 150rwkw I wil be stoked
A112H

Post by A112H »

So as you might have guessed from my for sale ad's the engine is out and I am stripping the engine bay for paint. The front end is also coming out for new drag link, tie rod ends and ball joints.
Today I got to reassembling the 63, after a freash coat of paint, lol

Rocker cover (rocket cover to some, lol) Primed then satin black for a factory look

Engine mounts :P

Decided I liked the white block on the Astron so here is the 63 with the finished rocker cover and engine mounts fitted. I am waiting on delivery of the cam belt and water pump so I can assemble the rest of it.\

The silver oil cap came with the engines but I am thinking of getting a stock black plastic one. As I said I want it to look like it is a factory fitted engine, except the white block :lol:
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

Looking good mate, should go good with an EFI 2lt, shame about no turbo :P
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Yep looking sharp Jase, i dont mind the white block! Great work :thumpsup:
Cheers Ben
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cheers guys
TUFSIG wrote:Looking good mate, should go good with an EFI 2lt, shame about no turbo :P
Yeah, I love turbo cars and have owned a few fast one's but just feel it is a bit new school for a 70's car, lol
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

already got fuel injection though ahaha :P looking good though, got over the NA astron, if so i dont blame you
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah it will probably be efi but ITB's in an attempt to make it look old school, lol. There is a strong argument towards motor bike carbs and just running a spark computer but I am not yet convinced :P